• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
theadamSGT

password

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
What do you mean exactly? Do you mean a window with a box for a password or a password used to encrypt something?

If you want to know how to make a window for a password you will need to say what API you are using.

If you want to encrypt something what is it that you are trying to do?

Quote:
Original post by theadamSGT
...i would like to encryt a folder to keep one of my brothers out
The fastest way, on Windows NT-based systems (like 2000 and XP), is to encrypt the folder via folder options, and to use a secure profile. That means having a secure logon password, and ensuring that the workstation automatically locks down after a certain amount of inactivity - such as when you have to step away quickly. In addition, if you're truly paranoid, you should lock the keyboard whenever you step away.

That's the easy way. The hard way is to use an encryption program to manually encrypt the data, but you'll have to manually decrypt it whenever you want to access it, too. Programs of this sort are abundant.

Of course, you could just threaten your brother's life instead. *shrug*

Quote:
Original post by theadamSGT
the third i would like to encryt a folder to keep one of my brothers out

The GNU Privacy Guard (commonly referred to as GPG or GnuPG) can encrypt files. However, if you don't know what an API is you may find this app difficult to use (do a web search and see if you can find a more user friendly PGP solution).

You don't need to program anything to password-encrypt a folder, that's for sure. an API is an "Application Programming Interface". It's how languages can communicate with an underlying operating system such as Windows or a piece of software.

Quote: "I can't do that ..."

Surely you're not running on <20 MB of memory.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!