• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wavinator

Piling stuff, flipping tables, making barricades

This topic is 4678 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Imagine that you and a team of NPCs or ally players could move, flip and rotate things like furniture, crates and debris. What would you be most interested in creating? Before I go into a bunch of detail on this, what's your gut reaction to this sort of gameplay? (Nevermind the many implementation difficulties for right now.) To frame this, imagine further that you and your allies are on missions centered around buildings or bases (infiltrating, looting, defending, etc.). The environs range from upscale to crime plagued inner city, or monster and bandit infested ruins. The environment would have objects scattered around it that would allow you to reach certain areas or navigate past barriers.*
Some examples of what you might do: - Turn over a table and push it against a door, then stack heavy crates behind and on top of it to create a makeshift barricade to prevent a door from opening. - Push a desk to the center of the room and climb on top of it in order to reach a vent in the ceiling, or a pipe to cross a chasm. - Push vehicles (with your mates) to create a barrier that blocks police RVs during a riot. Thoughts in general? * = And since this question occurs so often, let me stress this is would be for a single and multiplayer RPG-like game, not an impossibly expensive MMORPG

Advertisement
My reaction is that it would be difficult to balance, or impliment into AI strategy. My second reaction is that such things might lead to map design to use this nifty feature, rather than present the useful feature as something clever players might use.

That said, a good interactive environment [think XCOM] adds a bit of realism and 'fun' to the process of blowing stuff up.

I like the idea.

Tho there are some things that would just be cool if you added them to this.

Things like explosives with radio/thermal detonators, the ability to string together explosives, destructable/burnable environments (ie. if you have a big enough bomb, you can drop the roof on someone. You can burn a door down, ect.), ect.

From,
Nice coder

While true dynamic blockades like this seem outside the realm of development for the time being, it's a great idea if heavily scripted or pre-planned. It would be nice to be able to build or take cover behind player-created barriers, or use objects in the game world as stepping stones. Especially in the realm of tactical strategy games, the implications of an advancement like this would be significant - it'd also work well in an RPG, depending on how combat is handled.

I think it would be great. I love the scripted possibilities in Resident Evil 4, and I think it could be applied in any situation.

As to implementation, I think that it would be easy to have tables with a "barricade" state. The problem is getting them from where they are to where you want them. If I could just click and "beam" a table to the doorway, it would be far easier to code than having a character push or carry it and rotate it to fit. Tricky.

Don't forget just kicking a table over and hiding behind it.

My first thought was using baricades of random items (tables, filing cabinets, overturned vehicles) to stop an onslaught of zombies...

So basically after a hard day of exploring ancient ruins I can come home and Feng Shui my apartment?[grin]

To me it sounds like a complex physics and environment simulatuon, it could be used for some interesting levels but unless this was one going to be one the games main feature then its probably more work then its worth.

I think TechnoGoth hit the nail on the head. The cost/benefit ratio of this feature will probably put it on the chopping block when "drill down" time comes again.

You could wuss out and have level design make it possible. Again, look at Resident Evil 4. Pushable furniture in that game can only be pushed one way, and is always lined up so it will be pushed right in front of a doorway.

To be fair, the telekinetic powers in Psi Ops and Second Sight made it possible to do things like this fairly easily. If you're still using psi powers, it could work.

The "hover-grab" of Half-Life 2 could work, also. But I wouldn't count on AI to do it.

Just a couple of words of warning, be consistant. Theres nothing more annoying than having something movable in one level and then not in the next. For instance, using the table to climb through a window but not allow a similar table to be used to climb a fence.

Your level design would have to fiendishly clever, so as not piss off the player.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!