• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gink

External procedures - 16 bit seg question

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When you are using external procedures from a real mode seg. file, what is the difference between declaring a segment that uses the procedures as public or nonpublic? It seems that it has the same effect without the public declaration. Is what is happening underneath the hood the same between these 2?

Advertisement
Doesn't the 'public' mnemonic mark it for external linkage?
You can call functions just the same from the same same source file, the issue is with other translation units.

Yeah, public just means that it is going to export something(procedures or data.) I'm still not exactly sure why this book im reading decides to mark the code segment as public when all it is doing is calling procedures from another file.

Here is a direct quote

Quote:
The segments containing imported or exported items as well as the imported or exported items themselves must be declared as public

I seem to use procedures from external libraries just fine without the PUBLIC declaration of the code segment.. Thats why I was wondering what the difference was between public/nonpublic code segments that just make external calls.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!