• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zix99

Self-Updating Application

This topic is 4890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, After working on some networking and updating program theories I run into a problem on how an exe updates itself. The only way it seems possible to me is have the main exe download the updates into a temp folder, and than run another program that waits for the main program to terminate and then copies the new exe over the old exe. Is it possible for the main exe to release control over the file and than copy the update onto itself? Any API to do this? Thanks for any responses ~Zix~

Advertisement
This is a very interesting problem. This web page sums up the solutions very nicely. Once you've solved the problem of a self-deleting executable, changing it to rewrite it is simple.

Thanks, great page, interesting reading it as well. After deleting itself all it has to do is copy the new exe, and reboot; simple.

Thanks
~zix~

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!