Poser/Blender Help

Started by
9 comments, last by kburkhart84 18 years, 8 months ago
I have been using Poser 6 to create characters for my game project i would export the models as .obj and import them into blender so i could export it as .X but when i import my models inside of blender they look nothing like what it did in Poser i have no textures even though i have all of the textures in the same folder as the obj file and when i render the object its EXTREMELY small. I am really new to creating art for games i have been programming for years now but i just cant seem to get a hang on the art for nothing so i almost know its something simple that i just dont know how or what to do to fix the problem. Any help or suggestions on how to fix this problem would be great. Also when i create an animation in poser and export the model as a obj file does it still keep the animation? what about when its exported to .X from blender? I am hoping to be able to create all of the characters in Poser and everything else in lightwave and use blender only as my .X convertion tool. If there another program that is better suited for this purpose please let me know. Here is my model looks like in poser this is an exported image of the model that has a photoshoped background but the character came directly from my Poser model http://photobucket.com/albums/y118/tracycoder/?action=view&current=TakumiKaito.jpg Here is what the rendered model looks like in blender http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/tracycoder/BlenderRender.jpg Here is the feedback that Blender gives me when trying to import my obj file http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/tracycoder/BlenderError.jpg As you can see the blender rendered object looks nothing like the Poser rendered character. I would really like to get a .X file of my character looking at least somewhat like the one in poser so i could test my game engine. Thanks in advance for your help!
Advertisement
"what about when its exported to .X from blender? I am hoping to be able to create all of the characters in Poser and everything else in lightwave and use blender only as my .X convertion tool."

I was trying to get Blender to export .X files with animations about a month ago, could never get it to work properly all the time.

As far as I got though was to use Blender version 2.36 and switch out the DX8 export .py plugin with this.. and I can't even find the plugin now using google, but grab it from me if you need it, here.

That plugin was suggested to me by some people over at one of Blender's help forums, but it still only seems to work like 10% of the time for me when it comes to animation.

If you do find a solution to your problem post it or PM me.. I'm working on a project where I'll be using .X files, and the animation part is just on hold right now, which has really slowed down my progress.

As for exporting from Poser and importing into Blender, I'd be willing to bet that the UV map information wasn't carried over at all at some point. It would probably be easier to just use one package.

[Edited by - ferr on August 1, 2005 1:28:27 PM]
Hey there,
Here's a few thoughts I have on what you might be experiencing, based on some common things (I hesitate to call them problems, really) that I have seen transferring files across different formats. I have not used the poser > obj > blender path before, but I have used similar ideas.

1. It looks like you might just need to scale your model up. Sometimes, models will come in at a much different scale than intended. 3ds characters, for example, always come in at "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" size. Either that or you just need to zoom in to work on it, or move the camera closer to create a rendering that looks right.

2. It appears that the model also came in rotated. You will probably need to rotate it constrained on the, um, x-axis it looks like.

3. The uv maps will usually export through the .obj pathway OK. Enter the face select mode and shift to a uvmap window to see if the map is there -- it usually is in my experience. The texture itself, though, will not be bound to model. You will need to find the linked image and re-import it.

4. I think ferr covered the .x export better than I could because I don't have any experience with it. Whether .x is the right format or whether blender is the best choice is really up to the game engine you use. Blender has always come through better than Max or Maya on teams I have been on using Torque and OGRE.

5. Animations. Probably not. There is a painful, roundabout way I have experimented with for making .bvh files (basically motion capture data) and importing them into blender, onto a rig that was created in Blender using all the same bone names. I don't think, though, that you can get the a rig/skeleton from Poser to Blender. I have generally used the philosophy that once I start rigging a model in any particular program, it should stay there all the way through animation and exporting. I'm still searching for a solution to this, though.

If you need more detailed explanations or need someone to experiement with, let me know. Good luck!

Scott
Newfound Room -- Open your mind to open content.
Thanks for your replies!!! i have been working for days now trying to get this to work i finally got my poser model to export as a .x file BUT it didnt do it correctly at least not with my engine. Poser is extremely easy to create characters in but i have found that once you create the characters its extremely hard to do anything with them. So i think im just going to try to use lightwave for all of my modeling i am "fairly" good at it. It might take me longer to design the art but i believe in the long run it will be the best choice.

I really want to get my project going again this is causing a massive slow down i just hope i can keep myself motivated to keep working.

I have tried scaling and zooming in on my model in blender and in lightwave when i imported the obj file and when rendered in both programs it is still extremely small.
The extremely small size is due to unit conversions.....
In my experience, blender always seems to scale imported objects WAY down....to fix this either scale the object up or move the camera closer :P
For lightwave: in layout, move the camera closer....on imports you usually end up with ridiculous scales.
Quote:Original post by tracy_Coder
Thanks for your replies!!! i have been working for days now trying to get this to work i finally got my poser model to export as a .x file BUT it didnt do it correctly at least not with my engine. Poser is extremely easy to create characters in but i have found that once you create the characters its extremely hard to do anything with them. So i think im just going to try to use lightwave for all of my modeling i am "fairly" good at it. It might take me longer to design the art but i believe in the long run it will be the best choice.

Was there much trouble in getting it to export to .X (did you have to find a plugin or anything?) And did it pack it with the animations? You say it didn't work correctly with your engine, have you tried opening up the .X file in DirectXMeshViewer (comes with the DX SDK) to see what happens there? I have the option to use Poser, so I guess I'll look at it some more since I'm kind of stuck in Blender.
This is what my directX file looked like after i exported the imported obj from blender to .x

xof 0303txt 0032template VertexDuplicationIndices {   <b8d65549-d7c9-4995-89cf-53a9a8b031e3>  DWORD nIndices;  DWORD nOriginalVertices;  array DWORD indices[nIndices]; } template XSkinMeshHeader {  <3cf169ce-ff7c-44ab-93c0-f78f62d172e2>  WORD nMaxSkinWeightsPerVertex;  WORD nMaxSkinWeightsPerFace;  WORD nBones; } template SkinWeights {  <6f0d123b-bad2-4167-a0d0-80224f25fabb>  STRING transformNodeName;  DWORD nWeights;  array DWORD vertexIndices[nWeights];  array float weights[nWeights];  Matrix4x4 matrixOffset; }

No i used to option in blender to export it as .x. I honestly didnt know that the sdk came with a mesh viewer ill try that and see if it does open in it.im highly doubting it htough because i have tried several .x files that i found online and they all work with the engine i have made. I think my problem the most is that blender is not exporting the file correctly. Does anyone know of another free or cheap program that will open obj files and export them as .x?

Hm, I exported the default male model in Poser6 to .obj, but when I tried to import it with Blender 2.36 I get this:

"Warning, max material limit reached, using an existing material
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 391, in load_obj
TypeError: len() of unsized object"

Blender freezes up for about 30 seconds, then unfreezes and acts as if I never tried to import anything. You ever run into that?
Hm, I exported the default male model in Poser6 to .obj, but when I tried to import it with Blender 2.36 I get this:

"Warning, max material limit reached, using an existing material
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 391, in load_obj
TypeError: len() of unsized object"

Blender freezes up for about 30 seconds, then unfreezes and acts as if I never tried to import anything. You ever run into that?

No it imported fine for me other than the messages it gave in the picture i posted did you delete the box that blender automatically puts in because objects that are imported are so small that the box hides your imported object and it looks as if it didnt import. After it imported though i couldnt get anythign else to really work i cant get the object to scale bigger or anything and it will not export to .x correct for me at all.
1. I delete the default box.

2. To scale I do the following. Select the object so that it is outlined in purple. hit the S key, move your cursor until the object starts to get bigger. Click LMB to accept the change.

3. Send me the file if you want. scott@bowzizzer.com

4. This might be a moot point if you can't get a decent .x export.

Scott
Newfound Room -- Open your mind to open content.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement