• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bah

[java] Can I distribute Java's appletviewer with my applet?

This topic is 4683 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I have an applet that refuses to run inside a page and will only run through the appletviewer (i.e. appletviewer page.html). The web browser says "myClass.class is not found" or something similar to that even though both the web page and the applet's files are all in the same directory. Is it acceptable to distribute (e.g. post to the web) the applet with Java's appletviewer or should I just force the perspective users to load it through the latter?

Advertisement
Some people might not have the appletviewer on their machine. In this case, you might want to offer the applet with the viewer though I'm not sure about the License that it has. You should be able to do it but I would double check the sun site to make sure. If for some reason they didn't want you to distribute it, you could just have a link and info on how to download the viewer.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll try to make the applet work from within the browser and use the appletviewer as a last resort.

Ok applets are made to be running in a webpage, appletviewer just comes with the sdk for debuging. So if you can't get it to run in a web page then you are doing something wrong. And to link to adownload of appletviewer doesn't seam to be the right way to get around this problem. Use google and you're programming skills to find out what you are doing wrong instead and probably you will learn something on the way and grow as a programmer.
The "oh, my applet won't run in a webpage" is a problem that allmost all java-applet programmers have had to tackle.
And I think most people won't use your applet if it won't run in a webpage.

Just my 2 cents

Lizard

Hi

It turns out there was nothing wrong with the code. I cleared the internet caches and then run my applet as well as some of the JDK's demo applets but the problem persisted. I gave up, unistalled and then reinstalled JRE 1.4.2, cleared the internet caches again and, surprise surprise, everything started working properly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!