• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MCJOHNS117

OpenGL Please Help me with...

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im at the end of my ropes here. Im about to give up and find a new career just because of how hard microsoft is making this for me. I have picked up many many books on DirectX, Windows programming, OpenGL. The works. Anyway I desided after getting into OpenGL that bacause of its non-platform-specific nature and the near impossibility of finding th WGL libraries I would switch API's to DirectX. Now I am starting to write the basic intro programs and im haveing some trouble... Even though DirectX is platform-specific to Windows i cant find the Win32 files anywhere. I need the header files for win32 applications like windows.h and objbase.h and all the accompaning files. I have exausted every other resource in looking for these files. I know they come with Dev-C++ but these arent the real files and Dev-C++ has some issues when compiling so I now use Visual C++ 05 Beta as my IDE. However VC++ doesnt come with the proper header files. Ive check microsoft.com, MSDN.com, and done a google search for every possible combination of probable words related to Win32 and I cannot find a download anywhere. Any help is very greatly appriciated. Sorry for the semi-long read. Again any help is apriciated and thanked for in advance.

Advertisement
Go to microsoft's website and download the Visual C++ tool kit.

Click

You could use code::blocks as the IDE. As for the 2005 beta of VC++ not including all the files, I cannot say since I haven't downloaded it, but I doubt that microsoft would release the software without all the proper header files. Anyway, just download the tool kit. It will contain all the binaries, headers, and exe that are included with the VC++ .NET Pro version. Also make sure you download the Windows Platform SDK to build the GUIs.

Hi there MCJOHNS117,
How are you doing?
Well I must say that I am sorry to hear about your problems. Let me try and shed some light at the end of the tunnel for you :)(Follow the light)....

Microsoft in my opinion have made it very easy for a hobbiest programmer to start developing applications. They provide the express versions of their Visual Studio IDE product. These express versions are scaled/broken down versions.

"The Visual Studio Express editions expand the Visual Studio product line to include lightweight, easy to use and easy to learn tools for hobbyist, novice, and student developers who want to build dynamic Windows applications and Web sites."

[Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition]

And then if you don't have the DirectX SDK then I provide you with that link aswell
[DirectX SDK (June Update)]

I believe with the right tools at your disposal that you won't run into any difficulties. Try these out. With regards to your problem concerning the headers. This will be solved with the express products.

I hope you find some value in this.

Wow. Thank you both very much for the response. I wasnt expacting one for a day or so and you guys came to the rescue very quickly. Thanks for your help:).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!