Weapon swapping vs Holsters and Sheaths

Started by
42 comments, last by Jiia 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Okay, how about a permanent/temporary weapon system? Have your "equipped" (via the inventory screen) weapon. You hit the "draw" button, and he gets it out. However, in the heat of battle, you can pick up other weapons, boards, rocks or anything else and wield it. Your "permanent sword" goes back into the sheath and the "temporary" weapon takes its place in your hand.

But what if the player wants to throw his permanent weapon? If he then picks up a temporary one, you're in the exact same situation as above. You have a sword to stow but an incorrect sheath. Unless you're saying he can't get rid of his permanent weapon without inventory access?

I have a feeling I'll be trying to stick with the invisible sheath trick. It was the solution I was using before I posted (someone probably seen the RPG-walls post with my dude carrying a sword and shield on his back). It lets me do anything I want and requires the least amount of work :)

Quote:Original post by MSW
Say the player is holding a sword and has a battle axe holstered to thier left side...some ugly creature is chargeing them that is more prone to damage from the axe...so the player switches weapons...the animation of the player putting the sword in the right side mounted sheath is played...then the animation of the player retrieveing the left side holstered axe is played...and now the player is ready to do battle.

The player can holster and draw weapons very quickly, as he's standing, moving, running, jumping, or falling. You can literally stow or draw a weapon in about two running steps. I'm not sure about swapping weapons, as I haven't made animations for any weapons but swords yet.

Quote:course the more perceptive players may reailise that simply dropping the sword and arming themselves with the axe can be done much faster then running through the swap out animations.

My game will rely heavily on tricks like this. You could also thrust your sword into the enemy for a bonus amount of time. The sword will stay lodged inside of the enemy, slowing them down and causing constant damage until they die. You could also rip it from their body before or after they die.

Quote:..but then once done with battle players would have to go back and pick up the sword...which is also a point of detail that could possable make the game unwinnable

If you can drop swords, and there is a special sword that is required for later, the player character should warn the human player about it before he goes too far from the drop zone. Thanks for the headsup on that. I can add a little flag to tell map objects they are important and to send the player a message when he goes too far away from them. He gets a message, then "thinks to himself" on screen as to not interrupt the action. Also, for what it's worth, only generated objects will be removed in my game. Editor-placed NPCs or objects will remain indefinitely, even if dead. That means you could run all the way back and find that sword. Not that I would want to force anyone through that.

Quote:A simple and quick animation of the player character reaching into his backpack works very well. It informs the player that the character is swapping weapons (particularly usefull, over just poping the new weapon into place; when swapping between simular looking weapons).

Backpack swapping is nice, but there are a few problems. The first one being that the character would have to be wearing a backpack. Characters are naked in my game unless you put some pants on them (or they come pre-equipped with pants :). Buying and equipping backpacks sounds fine, but their bulkiness would really limit the types of armor I can make. I plan on having very large armor parts, like shoulder pieces that are so huge, they hide your head from side view. Holsters are easy enough to push outward by certain amounts to fit any armor. But a backpack would look a bit goofy over your dark-side light-modular fire armor. If I added backpacks, they would probably only be equipable over clothing layers, and they would only serve as to increase your inventory space. Meaning you could equip large armor over the backpack and it becomes invisible. I couldn't allow the player to reach into it, this way.

Quote:Also...I hope there are TONS of very important gameplay actions available to the player when all his weapons are holstered/sheathed...and I don't mean just talking to NPCs!

Why do you say that? If there weren't, the player would never need to worry about it. He could just keep them drawn until he decides to visit a village. I would actually prefer to keep my game this way, but there are too many things that require hands to interact with things. So weapons get in the way.

You can hoist onto ledges, shimmy across them, climb up them, be running and drop to hang from them, climb ropes and ladders, open and close doors (I'll probably have to eventually make combat animations for these). Most heavy actions can happen with both weapons drawn and without. But some things require that your hands be free. Also, when a character goes into combat-mode, the only buttons that perform the same thing as they did in relaxed-mode is the combat mode button and jump. This means all of your controls are devoted to combat, or relaxed actions. Similar to getting in and out of cars in GTA.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions.
Advertisement
I would say allow someone to pick up and quickly use a weapon/drop a weapn they are holding to the ground. If they haven't 'equiped' the weapon, only picked it up and held it in their hands for battle, then when they use a quick change of weapons, they'll drop the first to the ground and pull out/pick up the other weapon.

Now, to 'equip' a weapon, you must go in and take whatever it is that will hold it (Sheath/loop, whatever) and place it on your character, and that is where you'll put your weapon when swaping them out in battle. So you have right hip, left hip, your legs, arms, back (Down neck, up back of shirt, from shoulder to hip x2, etch), chest, and any other place you want to allow the user to 'store' a weapon for use.

HOWEVER! this should come at a cost to the user. You can't have him strapping a long sword to his forearms, those smaller areas would be reserved for knives/daggers and other small things. They could also affect (good/bad) things like armour, or movement. Now if the character has no armour on his arms, and he straps a knife there, he will recive a bonus to that part, but if he is wearing a full suit of plate, it could hinder movement by binding some of the joints, and adding extra weight to the arms.

Some thing goes for the hips and back. You could let the user strap 50 great swords on his back, but he will have trouble moving.

And then there is also the issuse of actually GETTING to the weapons when switching. A long sword on the back (from left shoulder to right hip) and another swrod on the left hip would allow the player to put a weapon back with one hand, and draw with the other, making for a faster changing time, than say both on the left hip.

Personally, I think that feature would be rather cool, and allow the player to find out their most effective layout
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Holster the weapon and drop both on the ground when switching weapons.
*News tagenigma.com is my new domain.
velcro.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
- Semi-generic sheath(s). I.e. big sword sheath (over the sholder), dagger sheath (on the belt or up sleaves), etc. Have the character buy what ever sheath(s) he/she wants. If the character picks up a weapon they don't have a semi-generic sheath for, he/she has to carry it all the time or un-equip it into inventory.

- Auto appearing sheath(s). When the character picks up a new weapon or tries to sheath it, a sheath fades in for the speicific weapon. A bit better than the weapon appearing/dissapearing all the time.
KarsQ: What do you get if you cross a tsetse fly with a mountain climber?A: Nothing. You can't cross a vector with a scalar.
The more detail you go into the more time and resources will be required to develop the game - what actual % of the game is weapon swapping? How much fun is it, how interesting is it. The likely answers to this are - less than 0.1%, not fun at all, not interesting at all.

There are far more important things to be worrying about and there wont be enough time to impliment all of those properly so worrying about holsters really isn't a good use of time. Put simply decide how you want the weapons to be used and how many the player will be allowed to carry - once that is decided then implement whichever holster system is necessary to make that work.

I worked on an adventure game where the character put everything inside his jacket. He would pull long pipes from inside his jacket pocket as if his pocket was the Tardis - no one ever commented on it. Not the reviewers and certainly not any of the customers who wrote in about the game. People just won't notice.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
They notice when you have realistic sheaths. Saying sheaths aren't a big deal is like saying hair on humans isn't needed. It just slows down development time and doesn't seem to effect gameplay. It's certainly not interesting. What about boot straps? And sword handles? And little pictures on sword handles? Grass textures?

Seriously, it's not about development time. How difficult is it to make sure you have a sheath that fits every weapon? Even if every one of them needed it's own, that woudn't be a big deal. The big deal is the fact that there's no way to impliment it properly without kicking the player in the knees.
Here are my two control-ideas wich I plan to use in the near future:

Quote:
This game is set in a "normal" enviroment:
"Weapon" classes are:
Primary weapons
Long weapons: Swords, Rifles, Bows, Sticks, Rocket launchers etc.
Short weapons: Pistols, Combat-knifes, uzi
Un-carriable(sp?) weapons(weapons that cannot be carries by your inventory): pipes, really large hammers etc.
Secondary weapons
Indirect weapons: Grenades, drugs, steorides, antidote, mines, bombs, first-aid etc
Weapons that can be activated: Lighter, flashlight, nv-googles etc
Defensive weapons: Non-combat knifes, syringe w/ toxic, extra ammo(default)
Panic weapons: Built-in pistols/knives, boot-knife etc
well, weapons are not the best description, tools might be better ;)

Inventory system
Max 1 weapon per category. The long weapon is on the characters back, the short in a hoster on his/her right side. Panic weapons depends on what weapon it is, defensive goes to the left-upper arm (like the syringes blade got in blade(the movie)). Indirect weapons go to the belt. Activate-..-weapons depends on what weapon it is: A lighter is in the pocket(hidden), a flashlight is on the bel(left side), nv-googles are on the characters head(like sam fisher in splinter cell).

Controls:
mouse wheel up alternates between long and short weapons
mouse wheel down alternates between hand-to-hand and panic-weapon.
The system is designed to use only theese keys to change weapons(because of speed) but it should be possible to use standard keys aswell(#1-#4).
shift (if someone has grabbed you) use the defensive weapon on that someone(if no weapon you punch and kicks instead)
shift (if someone hasn't grabbed you) use the indirect weapon

Changing weapons:
When changing weapons you holster the current weapon (if it is possible, otherwise you throw it away) and grab the new one. Possible exception: When changing to the panic weapon the weapon is always thrown away.

Quote:
3rd person fantasy/action game control inspired by the "fellowship of the ring" movie.
Weapon classes
Close combat: Swords, axes
Long-ranged weapons: Bows and such
Knives: Well, knives.
Shields
Magical weapons(spell casting): mostly staffs.
Enchanted weapons are catogorized according to the weapon that is enchanted.

Inventory system
Close-combat weapons go on the right side of the character. Bows, and arrows are on the characters back. The shield is always used. Knives are on the upper left arm or in some sheath on the lower right boot. If magical weapons are used(depends on the character) they are linked to the characters soul and thus apear out of thin air :) (like heretic 2 weapons IIRC).

Relevant controls
Shield+attack throws the current blocking item(first shield then weapon).
With a weapon equiped a knife is thrown at the enemy by pressing the knife button.
With no weapon equiped the knife is equiped with the knife button.
When a enemy has grabbed you you can put a knife in him/her to avoid death from choking.
There can't really be that many weapon types in the game. Why not a sword sheath on your left hip (a majority of players like swords), a dagger sheath on your leg, a blank spot on your right hip, and a blank spot on your back. Swords and daggers go in the sheaths. Bows, polearms, staves, hammers, and two-handed weapons all just get "stuck" onto your back, and any non-sword and non-dagger one-handed weapons (axes, clubs, flails) all get "stuck" onto your right hip. If you want, you can try to model a leather loop that shows up around the things on your hip and back, but most games I've seen don't bother with it, since it will end up clipping through half the items unless you keep a close eye on their forms. That lets you keep 4 different weapons at once on you; I'm not sure if you'd need more than that. I'm not a master of medeival realism, but I always thought that most non-blade weapons were just carried in belt loops anyway. Is there such thing as an axe sheath?
Quote:Original post by Jiia
They notice when you have realistic sheaths. Saying sheaths aren't a big deal is like saying hair on humans isn't needed. It just slows down development time and doesn't seem to effect gameplay. It's certainly not interesting. What about boot straps? And sword handles? And little pictures on sword handles? Grass textures?

Its a bad sign when a game is so dull that players take to time to notice such trivial details as sheathes...which is most likely why you noticed, and want to include such minute details in your project.

However, the whole entire point of game graphics is to communicate game state info to the player PERIOD!

That is why old arcade games like Robotron are still fun to play. It only had simple two frame animated sprites designed so players could tell who was whom, and what was what at a glance.

Everything else is iceing on the cake...the problem is far too many developers try to ice the cake before they bake it.

Try the simple development approch...maybe color all walkable surfaces one color, walls and other obsticals another color...make monsters simple cubes with a "face" indicateing the direction they are pointing...try developing while maximizeing the amount of fun you can get from the game useing only these simple icons...THEN go back and texture/dress/ice them up...you will find you won't need to impress players with graphicly impressive sheathes, holsters, perfect hair, umteen different grass textures when they have impressive gameplay to keep them occupied.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement