• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Preacher

Delete USB

This topic is 4710 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This isnt a programming question but i just deleted files i shouldnt have from a usb and want to know if theres any way to get them back. Im using windows xp home and havent closed the usb folder or shutdown the system or anything like that can anybody help!!

Advertisement
Depends on whether the usb filesystem completely overwrites the file when it deletes or just removes the reference to the file. Either way recovering a file wouldn't be straight forward. You'd somehow need to get an image of the entire usb disk and manually find your (possibly corrupt and/or fragmented) files within that. Do you need to get these files back that bad?

I don't suppose they ended up in the recycle bin?

nearly all usb devices use a fat32 filesystem, which means deleting the files merely removes a refrence to them

it also means you'd use the same tools [thing windows 98 and prior era] to recover the files. Not having to do this recently I can't remember the name of any such tools.

Guest Anonymous Poster
There is lots of files for file recovery.
Try searching for 'fat32 file recovery' or something similar on google.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
...lots of files for...

whoops, I meant programs.

Ok thanks all im downloading a prog called smartrecovery now gonna give it a try. The files dont really matter that much but they werent mine so id just like to get them back :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!