When to move on?

Started by
16 comments, last by Vegetable411 18 years, 8 months ago
I've been learning C++, and I've been wondering. How much should you know about the language before you decide to go to the next more powerful one? How many programs should you have made?
Advertisement
it's been generally recognized by experts in the field that at least 10 projects should be completed before a person try to learn a new programming language.
Ten projects? How big do they have to be?
Look, just keep practicing until you understand the language and you understand how to program...don't be in such a rush! Move on when you can honestly say to yourself that you're ready. :-)

Maledict
Quote:Original post by bobason456
it's been generally recognized by experts in the field that at least 10 projects should be completed before a person try to learn a new programming language.

That's silly. "generally recognized by experts"? I've never heard of it. What's your source?

Anyway to answer the question... Languages are tools. You should spend at least enough time learning a tool so that when the time comes, you will be able to use it with some success. How many programs is not important. What is important is the size and complexity of the code, and which features you have mastered.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
I am not sure why you would want to move on from c++.

if your asking should you learn another lanuage then the answer is yes when ever you want to.
Without having cited any sources I'm not inclined to believe that 10 projects is anything more than a random guess on bibason456's part.

It has been said before by alot of people on these forums, and I'll say it again: Learning a language is not the most important, learning the programming paradigms and techniques is what's important.
Besides, it's not entirely correct to say that a language is more 'powerful' than another. Different languages have different strengths.
I must ask, what do you mean with "more powerful one"? C++ is IMHO the most powerful language you can use, next to perhaps C and Java...

Regarding your question, do you feel you know the language and able to reach the goals you set up, wheter it be simple test programs or more advanced ones?

I don't think it's possible to say that you can do a certain number of programs before you can say you know a language, it differs from person to person...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.
Quote:
I don't think it's possible to say that you can do a certain number of programs before you can say you know a language, it differs from person to person...

and language to language. For me, I know that C++ has taken exceptionally longer to learn well than say, perl.
Quote:Original post by Android_s
I must ask, what do you mean with "more powerful one"? C++ is IMHO the most powerful language you can use, next to perhaps C and Java...

That is silly. First of all, I would think java is less powerful (due to a higher level of abstraction and the fact that it runs quite bit slower due to the virtual machine). Also, there are likely hundreds of languages that can be considered more powerful, assuming you are basing it on how close to the actual hardware you are. Assembly, for instance, almost directly represents the individual registers and instructions. However, c++ is about as powerful as any 99.999999999% of developers would ever need.

Basically, it really depends of what you need. If you want some very basic functions that will lt you do 99% of what you need at a reasonable speed, then VB might be the best language. If you need more control and don't mind spendin a little more time setting it up, c++ is the way to go.

Anyways, I would stick with c++ until you are completely secure in programming and more advanced things. Make sure you understand Win32, classes, polymorphism, multiple inheritance, etc. Not all of it will be useful in every app, but it will devinately help once you start learning other languages. Other languages should be just a matter of learning the syntax and the various "unique" characteristsics and how to take advantage of them.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement