• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Animate my mesh

This topic is 4678 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i use 3dsmax 6, my mesh is not an animal or a guy so i can't use bones with him, the best way to animate is use FFD4x4x4 modifier. But it is not supported by panda exporter. What do you suggest me to use as exporter? what other way for an .x file animated in this way?

Advertisement
I would imagine that the output of a FFD modifier could be exported as a "morph target" animation, something that the MD2 model format supports. However, I have no idea if there's an MD2 exporter for MAX; I have no idea if exporting the FFD modifier is even possible (is there some way to take "snapshots" of the FFD'ed mesh to use with morph targets?); and I have no idea if there's an MD2 animation library for DirectX.

Quote:
Original post by Say
so why .x files are so limitated?? :(

They aren't :)

You can put a lot of information in x files, but you may need to write your own parser code to support the functionality your require.

The limitations are also associated with any exporter you may be using (3ds max to x file).

No 3ds max->x file exporter (especially free) is going to support all 3ds max functionality/modifiers as an animated x file, 3ds max is just too big.

Your only option maybe to:
Write your own 3ds max->x file exporter.
Write your own x file importer in your DirectX app (.x file parser)

Both of the steps above are non trivial (especially the 3ds exporter).

HTH,
Cambo_frog

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!