• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
m3rcyful ag3nt

After this book...

This topic is 4828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I´m just finishing the Book: beginning C++ game programming, and I would like to know whitch cpp book you guys recommend to have a look next? I´ve checked the books section here at gamedev but there are a bunch of them with 5 stars, that I don´t know which one should I buy. thanks guys

Advertisement
I would get books in the areas you are interested in and maybe a C++ book with more advanced topics. Books such as Effective C++ or Data Structures for Game Programmers would be good for understanding more advanced issues and techniques in C++. Now that you have gained a little programming skill, it is time to put it to some use. I would get a book on 3D math such as 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development, and a book on graphics programming such as Focus On SDL. Or perhaps something like Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX (if that is the kind of game you are interested in making).

Note: I haven't read all of these books so I can't recommend any specific one, but you get the idea.

Thanks for the help guys.

I was thinking about start my tetris clone with SDL, but I also thought that pearhaps I should go deeper in C++ before that. So I think I´ll get first another good C++ book and than the "Focus on SDL" you recommended me and start my tetris clone. After that I´ll get 3D math primer and than a good Direct X book, Like the programming a multipler game or programming RPGs with directx.
This should be a good plan. What do u think? :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!