After this book...

Started by
2 comments, last by m3rcyful ag3nt 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi I´m just finishing the Book: beginning C++ game programming, and I would like to know whitch cpp book you guys recommend to have a look next? I´ve checked the books section here at gamedev but there are a bunch of them with 5 stars, that I don´t know which one should I buy. thanks guys
Advertisement
Accelerated C++ is good for people new.
It gets people using modern C++ features right away.
"I turned into a driveway I thought was mine and crashed into a tree I don't have."- a real insurance claim
I would get books in the areas you are interested in and maybe a C++ book with more advanced topics. Books such as Effective C++ or Data Structures for Game Programmers would be good for understanding more advanced issues and techniques in C++. Now that you have gained a little programming skill, it is time to put it to some use. I would get a book on 3D math such as 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development, and a book on graphics programming such as Focus On SDL. Or perhaps something like Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX (if that is the kind of game you are interested in making).

Note: I haven't read all of these books so I can't recommend any specific one, but you get the idea.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Thanks for the help guys.

I was thinking about start my tetris clone with SDL, but I also thought that pearhaps I should go deeper in C++ before that. So I think I´ll get first another good C++ book and than the "Focus on SDL" you recommended me and start my tetris clone. After that I´ll get 3D math primer and than a good Direct X book, Like the programming a multipler game or programming RPGs with directx.
This should be a good plan. What do u think? :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement