• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
HAM

Games and Realism.

This topic is 4858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think this would be the best forum for this discussion. Don't shoot me if it is not. Something I have noticed recently kinda makes me think 'hmm...' Alot of games and thier designers strive for realism. Alot of the post on these boards try and describe an uber 'realistic' mediaval RPG, with realistic combat or a magic system based on 'real' components and magic words. These boards are filled with people trying to perfect thier 'realistic' physics engines. Space Sims are a fairly popular project, but how 'real' are they? Were are the Simulators? Take a look at the Games All Designers Should Play (Organised) Thread. There are categories for the different game genres, but no Simulator category. There is a Sim(ulation) category, but it definitely not refering to simulations. The Sims games are about as realistic as reality TV shows. And of course there are the hunting and fishing 'Simulators,' but again these are a far cry from being simulations of anything other then a simulation of a game (Fishing Sim fans can flame for me for that one). Simulators, especially Flight Simulators, are well loved. MS's Flight Simulators usually release and TOP the sales charts for at least a few weeks, there is definitely a market, but where is the indie developer interest? Why don't simulations get very much attention? Is it becuase making a game is HARD WORK, and making a simulator is REAL WORK? (do not even think of flaming me.. you know what I'm saying). Do we not think of simulators as games? When does a game get TOO REAL and become a simulator? Can you mix simulation and gamey aspects together? A game like WWIIOL says YES, as it is a very good game, but since its not overly popular, I guess it says NO as well. Discuss.

Advertisement
I doubt a game will ever be considered a sim if you control one and only one character who represents you in the game world. Most games in the sim genre are from a God perspective. A real life simulator is called an RPG, or tossed into a random action genre like GTA was, depending on the level of detail and what the game revolves around. Most RPGs revolve around story or combat. Getting your character better at the combat and/or better interacting with people and advancing the story.

I'm aiming for realism for emmersion. But I also find myself cutting off the reaslism at some point to make things less bothersome. My game's character's have a comfort level that changes with clothing comfort, weather comfort, eating, drinking, injuries, and lots of other things. They can get sick from cold weather without decent clothing, and thick bulky armor drains stamina faster in heat. But my characters don't have to eat like a normal person would, and they won't die if they starve or get really sick. They just don't heal as fast when uncomfortable and/or have weaker abilities when sick. They can also increase [edit: decrease] the uncomfortablness of not eating by taking a dip in a river, sleeping, making out with girls, or downing a bunch of booze. Which is not so realistic, but gives the player more flexibility if he can't find a certain resource.

[Edited by - Jiia on July 31, 2005 2:09:37 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Jiia
I doubt a game will ever be considered a sim if you control one and only one character who represents you in the game world. Most games in the sim genre are from a God perspective.

Ummm... wha???? You're not talking about the Falcon or Janes line of flight sims, right? In those, you control one aircraft (that's your "character") and fight against targets. Or did you mean Sim City style games?

Quote:
Original post by HAM
Alot of games and thier designers strive for realism. Alot of the post on these boards try and describe an uber 'realistic' mediaval RPG, with realistic combat or a magic system based on 'real' components and magic words.

Hmmm... there's irony in that, unless we have lots of Pagan game designers here. [wink]

Quote:

Take a look at the Games All Designers Should Play (Organised) Thread. There are categories for the different game genres, but no Simulator category.

These tend to be edge / fringe products where this board is concerned. I have yet to determine if we here at GameDev have a selectional bias toward RPGs (with people seeing this focus and losing interest in posting), or if it's a population bias (people who aspire to game design tend to aspire to RPGs).

Quote:

Why don't simulations get very much attention?

Age group bias, play history, time it takes for investment, and most important of all-- real life complexity versus make believe complexity.

It boggles my mind how eager people are to learn fictional dynamics for elemental and magic systems but are turned off by the dynamics of the real world. But this is not unique to the gamer community. I personally know a small horde of people who will invest THOUSANDS of hours researching numerology, apocalyptic prophecy and various convoluted conspiracy theories requiring great attention to detail, but barf at the idea of opening a book on political science or economics.

Quote:

When does a game get TOO REAL and become a simulator?

When it either includes too much mundane detail, or detail that the average grouping of gamers considers too esoteric. Managing windspeed to avoid a stall, that's okay. But selecting the aperature of your forward looking radar (as in the old Falcon 3.0), most people have no clue.

Key to everything, I think you have to tap into wish fulfillment. Because our heroes and heroines make it all look so easy, we want it to be easy too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!