• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xSKOTTIEx

quick BASS question?

This topic is 4752 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i use BASS for my sound. but im running into a problem. when i load a sound, and play it everytime the mouse goes over a menu item, it clicks (like it is supposed to). now if the player were to fly their mouse over all of the menu choices in a rapid sucession, the sounds would play, but would sound like its coming through headphones with a loose connection (you know the sound... half playing... half garbled). but if i went real slow, or reasonably slow, this does not happen. how can i set it up so i can play this sound as fast and as many times as i want without garbling the output? thanks guys.

Advertisement
Each wave file you load has a "certain" number of channels associated.

When you move slowly it say this sound has a free channel so start playing....it now stops playing and the channel is free.

Start doing this quickly and you have...one...two...three...multiple channels playing from the same buffer which is fine.

Until you hit the maximum number you requested. It then (depending on options) cuts one of the currently play channels and uses that one to start up.

BASS has options to either...reject the new request becase no empty channels for that effect...or dump a currently playing effect based either on volume or first one started.

The overhead per channel is quite small so bump up the channels per sample to at least 4.

Ask the question.... How many of this sound is the MAX I could possibly play at once?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!