• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MammaMia12

How hard would this Baseball game be to program...

This topic is 4762 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking to make a crazy cartoon type Baseball game & I was wondering just what I'm up against. Here are my ideas for the game. Please help me out and let me know just how difficult this game would be to program. -Select a captain and then 8 other players for your team. -Select a baseball stadium to play at (10 in all). -Characters are divided into 4 groups. All around players who are average at feilding, hitting and pitching, Technique players who can bend the ball more as they pitch, Speed players who can run the bases faster than the rest & Power players who can hit home runs easier. There are 60 characters in all. So basically would programming a baseball game be hard? Also are there any free engines for this on the web?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by MammaMia12
So basically would programming a baseball game be hard?
Yes. Doing anything you don't already know how to do is hard, but it is those very things that are worthwhile.

Quote:
We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
- US President John F. Kennedy, Rice University, Houston, Texas, September 12, 1962.

Get cracking, kid. Happy hacking.

It depends on a lot of factors. How much experience do you have at programming, and with what language(s), API(s), etc.? How many people will be working on it? How high quality do you want the result to be? What platform(s) are you targeting? Is it supposed to be 3D or 2D? What sort of system requirements do you hope for? Without answers to questions like those, all I can say in regard to how hard it would be is that it is doable.

As for free engines on the web, there are many free engines and APIs on the web with varrying capabilities. Without some more information (especially on the 3D versus 2D question), I couldn't say whether you want Torque, or SDL, or something else all together. I doubt there are any which are geared specifically towards baseball, but there are a multitude of engines and APIs which might save you loads of work.

Yeah I understand it wont be easy, but is this like WAY over my head? I am very very ambitious though and put alot of work into the 3d models I work on, but I haven't leaped into the programming pool yet and I want to now.

Quote:
Original post by MammaMia12
Its a 3D game. I'm designing the ball parks and characters in 3ds max.

That's one question answered . . . how about the other five? Still, just from the fact that it is supposed to be 3D, you might want to check out the Torque game engine. [google] it.

How much experience do you have at programming- None but I want to learn.

How many people will be working on it?- Just myself so far, but I plan on luring more people into it.

How high quality do you want the result to be? As good as a commercial game.

What platform(s) are you targeting? PC

Is it supposed to be 3D or 2D? Full 3D.

What sort of system requirements do you hope for? Haven't decided this yet.

It's challenging already programming-wise. Even if let's say you could handle the programming, you still need some artists for the artwork and sound. Yeah, game development is a tough work.

1. A 3d game of commercial quality
2. You are alone
3. You don't know how to program at all

= Very very long project. 3D programming is really hard.

The details on what you can do, select players etc is a far later issue and doesnt really effect how hard the game will be to implement, but the complexity of 3d in a fyll sport-game and everything else gives me the impression that this will be big thing.

If you want, its probably easier to learn programming by doing a couple of less-complicated games on the way, to start with this as your first programming-experience will scare you off.

Just some thoughts.
Erik

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!