• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deathwearer

Few questions

This topic is 4882 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I'm new to game developpement. I'm already a student in programming so I'm not new to programming. 1. First of all, in order to code, and follow tutorials and the stuff from books, what shall i have instaled on my computer, i curently use VS .net 2003. I have Directx 9.0c SDK also instaled. Do i need anything else? 2. Last day i tried the soure code of a project that was using directx as an API and it didn't want to compile, why? it was saying i didn't have this .h file and this one etc. Do i have to copy the headers and library files from the SDK directory to my VS include directory? 3. I'v seen that word few times already and since my natal language is french i not sure what it really mean, the word is : hardcoded . 4. It's not a question, but just wanted to say your all great and very helpfull and one of the best community i'v seen so far ( I'm still reading the gazillions of post in the begenners forum and i'v got many info i was wondering about )

Advertisement
5. Also almost forgot, I'm still making console program at school, and i don't know yet how to make win program ( gonna learn it next session ) and I'm searching for a good tutorial how to setup/code one. I'v tried with MSDN but didn't really find what i was searching for.

1. That depends on what you are developing. Decide on a project first then decide on what you need to make that project.

2. Make sure that you have set up the DirectX directories. In VC++'s options there is a place to set the include and library directories. For VS.NET 2003 this is in Tools->Options->Projects->VC++ Directories. The UI might have changed from 2003 to 2005 but it should be in the same general area.

3. Hardcoded is, in general, anything that is not loaded from some external place. For example, some games use configuration files to change how they behave. Some behaviors can be changed while others cannot - the behaviors that cannot change are hardcoded. This is a very general term, however, and is used in many similar contexts.

4. [smile]

5. For a basic Win32 primer try Winprog

To clarify the 'hardcoded' word, in general Colin gave a good definition. Most of the time I hear the word, it is in reference to the following:

#define BITS_PER_BYTE 8

for (i=0; i<8; i++) { ... }
for (i=0; i<BITS_PER_BYTE; i++) { ... }

In the first for loop, the value '8' is hardcoded (this is generally a bad idea since it leads to confusion). In the second for loop, the '8' is not hardcoded and it is more easily readable.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!