Octtree vs. bsp

Started by
12 comments, last by Name_Unknown 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by PorkBag
I realize this has been asked before, but just to get some more clarification on the matter... I've been hearing that Octtrees are better for outdoor locations, and BSP trees are more apropriate for indoor areas.

What type of bsp tree do you mean? if you mean Quake style bsp tree, that is a polygon aligned bsp tree, you are right. But, nothing can prevent you to use a polygon aligned bsp tree for indoor scenes and axis aligned bsp tree for out door scene linked together with a portal system (like doom 3).
For indoor scene try to read this paper to optmize the creation of internal bsp tree rooms:

http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2003/LH03/lefebvre-hornus-portals.pdf

Bye
Davide
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by PorkBag
I realize this has been asked before, but just to get some more clarification on the matter... I've been hearing that Octtrees are better for outdoor locations, and BSP trees are more apropriate for indoor areas.

What type of bsp tree do you mean? if you mean Quake style bsp tree, that is a polygon aligned bsp tree, you are right. But, nothing can prevent you to use a polygon aligned bsp tree for indoor scenes and axis aligned bsp tree for out door scene linked together with a portal system (like doom 3).
For indoor scene try to read this paper to optmize the creation of internal bsp tree rooms:

http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2003/LH03/lefebvre-hornus-portals.pdf

Bye
Davide
Quote:Original post by Name_Unknown
3d Game Engine Design (Eberly)
3d games real time rendering (Watts and Policarpo)

Note: they are books, if you want I will look in them and see if they have any references to further resources.

Thanks. I'll try to get hold of those books. Just to be sure, when you said:

Quote:You can encode a terrain in a BSP, you don't do it the same way as you would in an indoor engine like Quake or Unreal... (Watts)

Did you mean they encode terrain in a BSP, or that they describe BSP use for indoor engines?
Quote:Original post by trippytarka
Quote:Original post by Name_Unknown
3d Game Engine Design (Eberly)
3d games real time rendering (Watts and Policarpo)

Note: they are books, if you want I will look in them and see if they have any references to further resources.

Thanks. I'll try to get hold of those books. Just to be sure, when you said:

Quote:You can encode a terrain in a BSP, you don't do it the same way as you would in an indoor engine like Quake or Unreal... (Watts)

Did you mean they encode terrain in a BSP, or that they describe BSP use for indoor engines?

Basically, Watts describes how to use a 2D Bsp for a terrain and a grid. I never used it though, and don't know if it is really very useful for anything, it is like making a BSP that acts like a quadtree.
"It's such a useful tool for living in the city!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement