Irc rating and moderation system.

Started by
10 comments, last by Nice Coder 18 years, 8 months ago
Simply, it is an automated way of removing people that others don't like (and don't want to see) from an irc channell. How we do it, is via a points system. (slashdot esque) Each person has an amount of 'mod points'. When you mod someone down, The person who you mod down looses a rating point. When they get to -10, they get kicked (and they get rekicked until there rating comes back up, this is about the same as banning, until your rating rises.). The minimum rating is -10. that mod point is moved from you to another active random person (other then yourself and the person you rated). The same thing happens if you mod someone up, exept that there rating goes up. The maximum rating is +10. A person can hold a maximum of 5 mod points. Ops in this system, give out points (mainly by using them). They can also kick, ban, addlamer, and change another users rating. If there are more mod points then this ideal number, then whenever someone spends a mod point, that point isn't recovered. If there are too few points, then whenever one is spent, two are reimbursed. Mod points and ratings are saved to an ip adress. If an ip isn't used within a week, the points are removed. What do you think about this system? Any comments? From, Nice coder [Edited by - Nice Coder on July 31, 2005 6:05:12 AM]
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Advertisement
Easy to abuse and pointless, pardon the pun. [smile]

What happens if an attacker enters a channel with this system with 20 clients, all going through different proxy servers, and mods down everyone in the channel. He could potentially ban everyone in there.

Thats not a good position to be in.

I'm sure you could provide ways around that, but whats the point.

Its not like there is a serious problem that this idea solves. The traditional moderating service is usually adequate.
His bots arn't saying anything, so because there inactive they cannot recieve any points. (hence why i put in points, to solve that particular problem)

It takes 4 bots to kick a single person, and if people think that there being overtaken, they will simply kick anybody who comes in. They would proabbly realise that they are bots, and kick them.

It'd be real simple if it was already implemented.

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Quote:Original post by Nice Coder
His bots arn't saying anything, so because there inactive they cannot recieve any points. (hence why i put in points, to solve that particular problem)

It takes 4 bots to kick a single person, and if people think that there being overtaken, they will simply kick anybody who comes in. They would proabbly realise that they are bots, and kick them.

From,
Nice coder

I don't understand. Why can't inactive people mod down other people? You never mentioned that in your original post.
Quote:Original post by Jingo
Quote:Original post by Nice Coder

From,
Nice coder

I don't understand. Why can't inactive people mod down other people? You never mentioned that in your original post.

Grrr. Downside to writing up an idea without a draft....

From,
Nice coder
Added ops, after a nice (and very long) discussion with mary, about the worst case senario of 50 on 1. (50 bots/lamers vs one person).

From,
Nice coder
What is the goal of your system? The short description you give is good for sales and marketing, but not detailed or precise enough to build an implementation of it.

Removing people that others don't want to see in an IRC channel has an easy solution: give ops to anyone entering the channel, so they can remove people they don't want to see in the channel. This is obviously plain wrong to our sense of ethics, but it is a perfectly sound implementation of the problem you described. Changing your answer to the question won't help you: the question itself is flawed.
Why? What's supposed to achieve? Is it just that you want a rating system like the forums has, so people can go "Yay, my rating is higher than yours. You suck!"?
If it's so you don't have to listen to idiots, then IRC already has a fully functional /ignore command.

And letting everyone decide on giving out kicks, bans or even ops is just silly. It can and will be abused, and even if it isn't, it won't achieve anything the mods couldn't already do.

Of course, it'd be a good start if your goal is to turn IRC into a game. If it's simply meant to keep an IRC channel "clean", then I can't see how it's an improvement.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Why? What's supposed to achieve? Is it just that you want a rating system like the forums has, so people can go "Yay, my rating is higher than yours. You suck!"?
If it's so you don't have to listen to idiots, then IRC already has a fully functional /ignore command.

And letting everyone decide on giving out kicks, bans or even ops is just silly. It can and will be abused, and even if it isn't, it won't achieve anything the mods couldn't already do.

Of course, it'd be a good start if your goal is to turn IRC into a game. If it's simply meant to keep an IRC channel "clean", then I can't see how it's an improvement.

ehmm.. not like an op has ever abused their privledges right? If you don't believe... I have plenty of logs to show what happens when ops go bad...

/ignore works for me... well, Add/Remove programs [mIRC/X-Chat/BitchX/etc] works better. IRC is the biggest time waster ever invented.
"It's such a useful tool for living in the city!"
Quote:Original post by Name_Unknown
ehmm.. not like an op has ever abused their privledges right? If you don't believe... I have plenty of logs to show what happens when ops go bad...

And your solution is to allow everyone to abuse their privileges? [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement