• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chbrules

[web] [PHP] MySQL Query Being Stuborn

This topic is 4884 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to do a simple INSERT INTO and PHP is having a fit. I check if the query failed and it did. Now I took the exact query and ran it through MySQL Control Center and it works fine. I checked the 2 variables in it as well, they both have the proper values. What could it be?!
mysql_query("INSERT INTO slots.users (user,password) VALUES ('" . $username . "', '" . $password . "'");
Slots is my DB and users is the table. Both the column names and spelled right and the vars have values. As I said, I ran this through a query in MySQL CC and it worked fine. Help? =/

Advertisement
your query has mismatching parentheses

mysql_query(
"INSERT INTO slots.users (user,password) VALUES
(
'" . $username . "', '" . $password . "'"
); // php interpreter rekens this is mysql_query's matching paren.

// missing ');'

should be:

$q = "INSERT INTO slots.users (user,password) VALUES('" .$username. "', '". $password. "');" ;

mysql_query($q);

[Edited by - silvermace on July 31, 2005 1:54:25 PM]

For clarity, you could have said:

mysql_query("INSERT INTO slots.users SET user='{$username}', password='{$password}'");

(Using 'SET field1=value1, field2=value2, ...' syntax).
If you create a string inside "double quote" markers (rather than inside 'single quote' markers) you can insert variables directly without having to concatenate the strings. For example,

$my_var = "Fish!";
$my_string = "Ben likes the taste of $my_var";

...would set $my_string to Ben likes the taste of Fish! Wrapping the variable you are including in {curly braces} "forces" the variable in instances where it is unclear what is a variable name and what isn't, and makes it easier to read in my opinion. It also lets you include things like values from an array, like:

echo "The page is: {$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']}";

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!