Encryption / Decryption site

Started by
8 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 8 months ago
Does any1 have any good links for encryptions and even more importatent decryption Forums?
-->My Site<--
Advertisement
Well, I don't think there are specific forums that go solely into encryption/decryption. And if it would, then it would be mostly theory.

Now, what are you going to use the encryption for? Because that's mostly important. Some encryption systems can be REALLY fast, but they're usually less secure. Other encryption systems are more secure, but are slower.

Depending on how secure you want it to be, and how important speed is, you need to pick a specific algorithm.

Toolmaker

Well the thing is im trying to break an encryption and im not really sure what kind of encryption is used so im looking for a forum where i can find some answers to my questions.
-->My Site<--
Quote:Well the thing is im trying to break an encryption and im not really sure what kind of encryption is used so im looking for a forum where i can find some answers to my questions.

Well then the answer is NOWHERE. :(

Go troll for hackers and crakers somewhere else please. :(
Quote:Original post by fastlane69

You jumped to conclusions awfully fast. There are quite a few legitimate reasons for wanting to break/crack an encryption scheme:

- Research purposes
- Recovery of lost information
- Reverse engineering
- Security analysis

Robert
It is for reverse engineering and research.
Are there any forums / communities that cover the encryption breaking topic?

Quote:

take it easy this isnt flame wars!
-->My Site<--
What are you trying to decrypt?
What does it have to do with reverse-engineering?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I'm writing a server emu for an mmorpg. The packets are encrypted client side and send to server after that the server send something encypted back.
-->My Site<--
Quote:Original post by Aidamina
I'm writing a server emu for an mmorpg. The packets are encrypted client side and send to server after that the server send something encypted back.

Kerberos (free, w/source)
Applied Cryptography
Bruce Schneier
The Forum FAQ has some pointers to encryption and authentication resources.

In general, for recovering data from an encrypted program, I'd probably just break the executable in a debugger/disassembler (WinDBG in dual-machine mode over FireWire is a favorite) and put in enough breakpoints and stack walks to figure out where data being sent is coming from. Somewhere in there, the data will be transformed by something which is encryption. Once I know how that happens, I can re-create the algorithm from the disassembled code. For crappy systems, you might even be able to snarf the key that way; for other systems, you'll need to sniff the packet stream (and maybe do some more disassembly) to figure out where the key is coming from.

Break-on-write on specific addresses is a huge help, too, of course.

I've been told that the legalities surrounding reverse engineering vary wildly; for example, I've heard that in Europe you're explicitly allowed to reverse-engineer software if the intent is to make two systems work with each other; meanwhile, in the US, I've been told you might be disallowed to create a reverse-engineered product if its intent is to infringe on copyright of content. If you want to know what the rules are for the place where you live, you probably need to talk to a lawyer, unfortunately.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement