Checking video memory

Started by
3 comments, last by Promit 18 years, 8 months ago
In direct3D, how do I check how much video memory my video card has? Which interface checks it and with what method? Thanks in advance.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Advertisement
See IDirect3DDevice9::GetAvailableTextureMem

AFAIK it is only an approximation though.

Also texture memory *may* be destinct from "video memory" which will contain vertex buffers, index buffers etc.
There could be other methods which I am not familiar with.

HTH,
Cambo_frog
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
I would also like to know where can the video memory be checked "outside" prgroamming. With directX tools? I looked at directX caps but didnt see there anything about video memory.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Quote:Original post by The C modest god
I would also like to know where can the video memory be checked "outside" prgroamming.

Your best bet is to look at the driver utility for your hardware if you want a value. My ATI drivers tell me the vital statistics on my hardware.

Failing that, dxdiag (just type it into the "Run" dialog) should also list how much RAM is available - but it's listed as an "approximation", even though it is accurate on my system [smile]

Quote:Original post by The C modest god
I looked at directX caps but didnt see there anything about video memory.

There isn't anything in the caps viewer for this.

You might find this recent thread useful: Computing reserved memory in the graphic card.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Querying the WMI interfaces for "Win32_VideoController" (iirc) should tell you all sorts of nice things about the video card. Google has more details.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement