• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
johnnyBravo

c++, Question on function returning a const float** variable?

This topic is 4888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi im using c++, I've got a function in my class that is supposed to return a two dimensional array. eg:
class Layer {
private:
	float **weights;
public:
	const float **Layer::getWeights() {
		return weights;
	}

I'm returning const, as because so the weights can't be changed from outside the class(class design reasons). But I get this error when I try it:
Quote:
c:\my\new\nnback\layer.cpp(122) : error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'float **' to 'const float **' Conversion loses qualifiers
When I have a one dimensional pointer array, it works fine, but why can't I do it with a two dimensional pointer array, and what are the possible solutions for this problem? Thank you.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by EliasAE
Maybe you mean:
	const float * const * Layer::getWeights() const {

What does the const at the very end do?

as in Zahlman's link, it just uses: void g(const Foo* const* p);

Thanks alot.

Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
Quote:
Original post by EliasAE
Maybe you mean:
	const float * const * Layer::getWeights() const {

What does the const at the very end do?

This allows getWeights to be called on a constant layer:
Layer example1;
const Layer example2;
const Layer * example3 = &example1;
const Layer & example4 = example1;

example1.getWeights(); //works without the tailing const
example2.getWeights(); //needs the tailing const to compile
example3->getWeights(); //needs the tailing const to compile
example4.getWeights(); //needs the tailing const to compile

Note that this implitly makes "this" (and thus it's members) constant as well in the implementation. This will fail to compile:
class foo {
int bar;
public:
void baz() const {
bar = 3; //error: attempting to reassign a "const" variable
}
};

Very occasionally it makes sense to allow a member variable to be modified through a "const" function (e.g. reference counting). The solution to this is to use the mutable keyword:
class foo {
mutable int bar;
public:
void baz() const {
bar = 3; //OK, bar is explicitly mutable
}
};

Note that you can still change items referenced/pointed at from a const function:
class foo {
int & referece;
int * pointer;
public:
foo ( ... ) : ... { ... }

void baz() const {
reference = 13; //OK, we're changing what's referenced, not the reference itself.
*pointer = 13; //OK, we're changing what's being pointed at, not the pointer itself.
pointer = & some_other_int; //error: the pointer itself is constant (we cannot change where it points)
}
};

This adventure in const-correctness and it's implications brought to you by the number 9 and the letter M.

You know, you could have taken half a second to notice that my link was to an anchor near the bottom of a page all about const correctness, which included an answer to your follow-up question :( Jeez, you can't even spoon-feed people these days.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!