Composers: what would you like to see in..

Started by
0 comments, last by Blaise Douros 18 years, 8 months ago
A synth pad library, the likes of Atmosphere or possibly Morphology/Vapor? Basically, a large collection of pads, textures, landscapes, beds, and ambiences that could be loaded into Kontakt (or possibly other formats) for easy use. Modwheel and velocity control will be available to give the user additional control over the sound, too. What kind of sound is essential to have in this sort of thing? How many patches is reasonable? How large should it be? Would a plugin format make more sense rather than a flexible sample CD/DVD? Let me know! Thanks in advance.
http://www.zirconstudios.com/ - original music for video games, film, and TV.
Advertisement
I'd like to see it in Reason ReFill format. But that's selfish of me :)

Size of the library depends on how you want to distribute it--if you are going CD/DVD, fill it up! If you want it up for download, I would divide it into packages of about 100 MB each, maybe a bit smaller, in separate categories. Size is never a problem--make the library as large as you want--you can always cut it up into smaller chunks.

In terms of sounds, I would say go towards the warmer end of the sonic palette--so many of the pads and synths available to me sound very saw-wavy; I have to make my own warm pads. Not too heavy on the high frequency range--what I would like is something that sounds like a cumulous cloud rather than lightning (if that makes ANY sense at all). Make them sound organic--I can make synthy sounds myself, but if I was looking to buy something, I'd want it to sound nice. Finally, don't make the attacks too long--I can always slow down the attack myself, but I can't speed it up, so I'd rather have attacks that sound slightly more like a string attack than a super-slow fade-in.

If you are distributing online, I would say that 20-30 patches per library is a good size, if space is not an issue. And dear God! Please not a plug-in format! For me, at least. I prefer samples to a dedicated plug-in.

There's my two cents--hope it's helpful!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement