• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Cal3D? Beginners help

This topic is 4668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Im planning to include Cal3D in my RTS-project to draw units(meshes). It's said to be able to run in an existing app, but I must write the render function myself. Newbie question: My old system has no hardware support, do Cal3D come with it or do I need to write a new one? This render function that is not included, do I use somewhat the same method as rendering/blitting bitmaps? What is included in Cal3D and what must be coded yourself? And has someone already coded it so I can use some opensource code? Thanks a bunch! Suliman

Advertisement
Cal3d includes everything and it is already open source. The driver is not great but it is good. It is very useable. It can do it in software and can use vertex programs. Skeletal animation isn't like rendering a bitmap (?) I don't know what you meant by that question. It comes with examples, look at them to see how you use it. It is very easy.

Sounds good, but when I try the examples it gives me:

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'GL/glut.h':

I search and cannot find that file in the downloaded package. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for helping out
Suliman

YOu should probably try and go with something easier to work with. I found Cal3D very frustrating when it came to exporting animations and materials. Just download a DirectX exporter, or something similiar for whatever modelling program you use and animate with that. It'll save you a lot of time and hassle.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by suliman
fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'GL/glut.h':

I search and cannot find that file in the downloaded package. What am I doing wrong?

http://www.opengl.org/resources/libraries/glut.html

Download links at (this page is linked from the page above, as well):
http://www.opengl.org/resources/libraries/glut/glut_downloads.html

oconnellseanm:

Ok but once exported properly, I still need it to be used in my app, which was my problem to begin with.

Thanks Anonymous, ill check it out
Suliman

edited:
I uncluded and it got past file-whine, but now I got 45 unresolved external... Why this in a tutorial?

just a chunk:
viewer.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall CalCoreModel::CalCoreModel(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &)" (__imp_??0CalCoreModel@@QAE
@ABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z)
viewer.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall CalModel::CalModel(class CalCoreModel *)" (__imp_??0CalModel@@QAE@PAVCalCoreModel@@@Z)
viewer.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: bool __thiscall CalCoreModel::setCoreMaterialId(int,int,int)" (__imp_?setCoreMaterialId@CalCoreModel@@QAE_NHHH@Z)
viewer.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: bool __thiscall CalCoreModel::createCoreMaterialThread(int)" (__imp_?createCoreMaterialThread@CalCoreModel@@QAE_NH@Z)
viewer.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: int __thiscall CalCoreModel::getCoreMaterialCount(void)" (__imp_?getCoreMaterialCount@CalCoreModel@@QAEHXZ)

Cal3D seems to not be at full health. Any tips? Any Cal3D communities?
Thanks

[Edited by - suliman on August 1, 2005 4:12:36 AM]

I implemented cal3d into a commercial engine where I work. It was probably one of the easiest open source projects to use, and is pretty impressive in terms of features and such. I found its 3dsmax exporter to be simpler to use and more flexible than the exporter of other OS projects(looking at you Ogre). I had to make some small changes to it though to convert from max->d3d coordinate system, since the only option they have by default is max->ogl

It's a shame that currently it appears the development is so slow if not stopped. Even so it's at a state where it is easily usable in games of pretty much any level.

seemes I have not the file cal3d.lib anywhere. It is not included in the downloaded package, where can I get it?

Thanks

well you must first build the library, it comes with makefiles and VS projects (if I remember corectly). Anyway simply create a new DLL project and add all the files to it. Hope it helps

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!