• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MTclip

*pointer or &ref -- whats the diff

This topic is 4887 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

tell me do i have this concept correct.. a pointer ( int * pInt ) holds the address of a variable.. a refrence ( int & rInt ) holds the address of a variable.. so they are the same? if not- maybe a small example of when to use each?

Advertisement
Yep, but a reference cannot be NULL (unless you do some ugly things like ptr=NULL; func(*ptr);).

They're not the same, and it's a "deficiency" of C++.

Fundamentally, pointers and references encapsulate the same quantity: the address of a variable. Practically, however, a pointer exposes that address to manipulation by the programmer while a reference only exposes the value pointed to. You can think of a reference as a compiler-managed pointer, meaning that you should use it unless you specifically need access to the address itself.

What Oluseyi just said using big words is: you can't make a reference point to something else. That's the other big difference.

There are a lot of situations where you could go either way. The basic style guideline is: use references whenever you can, use pointers when you need to.

okay so say i have 2 pointers to some object
and i want to compare the addresses of the object from the pointers...

int pooey = 88;

int* num1 = pooey;
int* num2 = pooey;
//now i want to compare the
//address of what is pointed to

if(num1 == num2)

if(*num1 == *num2)

if(&num1 == &num2)

if(*&num1 == *&num2)

//mmm.. which should i use

//or should i

int* num1 = &pooey;
int* num2 = &pooey;

thanks

---------------------- ;P

int* num1 = &pooey;
int* num2 = &pooey;

if(num1 == num2)

will check if they are pointing at the same thing. Now if you wanted to compare the values they are pointing to, that would be different code.

Also, when I was first learning C, the different usages of the * and & symbols confused me for a while. Just remember: * and & mean very different things when they are used on a value versus when they are used on a type.

int pooey = 88; // Fine

// Both lines, same problem:
// num1 is a pointer which stores and address. The = operator sets the address.
// If you want the address to be 88, this is find but will need a cast. If you
// want the address to be that of pooey, you want to change it to num1 = &pooey
int* num1 = pooey;
int* num2 = pooey;

// Compares addresses. Fine but may not be what you wan't.
if(num1 == num2)

// Compares values. Fine.
if(*num1 == *num2)

// Compares addresses, but the addresses compared are that of num1 and num2,
// not the addresses STORED by num1 and num2. Again, legal, but probably
// not what you want.
if(&num1 == &num2)

// For ints, this is the same as the first if statement. Compares addresses.
if(*&num1 == *&num2)

No references here at all. I was going to write whether each statement evaluated to true or false but since your initial assingments are a bit odd, it probably wont help much.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'm in the process of using references for just that reason... safety. However one thing that Im working on is a couple functions that send various objects via their common base, albiet with only the base variables/functions accessable. Access in this way seems to work fine inside the function itself (with some generous help from others here). But I have not yet tried to send a reference this way as a parameter.

ex: multiple "car::ford", "truck::gmc", and "motorcycle::suzuki" objects (all derived from "vehicle::") in a . Instead of passing "car::ford" pass "vehicle::ford". The idea being that a single function can send any derived object... including new ones that I add later.

Just curious if its possible. Or if I should stick with pointers in this case. which work in this way I believe.

References also behave polymorphically. A reference to a base class could very well actually refer to a derived class, and will behave just as it is was a pointer. All virtual functions will be dispatched to the proper dynamic type of the reference.

if(*num1 == *num2)

That is probably going to crash your program since chances are 88 doesnt point to a valid page in memory.

You probably want:
int* num1=&pooey;

The & operator gives you the address of something. A pointer holds that address.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!