• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
yavin02

Unity [java] introducing ogre4j - Java native interfaces for OGRE

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello GameDev.net community, I proudly introduce the growing Java native interfaces ogre4j for OGRE. I found some threads about OGRE on GameDev.net and thought that maybe someone wants to know that there is a new "alternative" to Java3D. The ogre4j team invites everybody to join the development of the JNI bindings for the very good render engine OGRE. The sources are at a early stage and at least 30% of the public interfaces of OGRE are implemented but it is impressing what's possible with ogre4j already. We are looking forward for feedback of the experienced members of the GameDev.net community. Best regards, yavin PS: I hope to have the time to write a full article about ogre4j. Stay tuned ... [Edited by - yavin02 on August 2, 2005 5:16:52 AM]

Advertisement
Looks very promising!

However, I have two questions for you:

1. There's a single method that relies on Java3D. You're not serious about keeping this dependency, right? =D
2. Are you planning on tying the bindings with SWT? Not really bad, but I hope you're not up to it ;)

If I werent as busy as hell with my graduation... I would certainly be interested in helping out. OGRE is my engine of choice when I toy with C++, and I've seen great games using it.

Son Of Cain

Quote:
1. There's a single method that relies on Java3D. You're not serious about keeping this dependency, right? =D

Your're right I'm on that issue. This function is very helpful if converting geometry data from a J3D scenegraph. ... I think we will remove this function to get rid of that dependency.

Quote:
2. Are you planning on tying the bindings with SWT? Not really bad, but I hope you're not up to it ;)

No we won't do that.

At this stage in the evolution of 3D Java... it would be more useful to have a pure Java port of OGRE rather than a JNI binding.

Cas :)

Quote:
Original post by princec
it would be more useful to have a pure Java port of OGRE rather than a JNI binding.

What would be the advantage of a Java port, compared to the JNI bindings? IMHO porting OGRE to Java will result in another version of Java3D ;-) The speed of the native implementation will be lost ...

What did you mean by speed of a native implementation? Exe code compiled for MMX at most, would be MUCH slower that identical program writen in Java, and used on CPU with SSE2 instruction set support.
Of course Java port would alow for better inlining, BTW I remember that my modification of JOGL was able to do 1E6 triangles on 6 year old GFX card with lighting, and shadowing.

Quote:
Original post by Raghar
What did you mean by speed of a native implementation?

I thought that porting OGRE will loose the speed of the OGRE C++ implementation ... Maybe I'm wrong with that. I know there are benchmarks which show that Java is faster than C++ but I'm not uptodate about this issue. I'm able to remember a comparison between Java3D, OpenGL and DirectX which was evaluated by a student of my universtiy. The results were clear, Java3D was far behind OpenGL and DirectX.

Quote:
Original post by Raghar
Of course Java port would alow for better inlining, BTW I remember that my modification of JOGL was able to do 1E6 triangles on 6 year old GFX card with lighting, and shadowing.

That's cool. But you modificated JOGL and JOGL only deals with OpenGL. OGRE deals with both, DirectX and OpenGL and it provides a much more advanced API. Furthermore due to the plugin concept of OGRE it is very easy to extend OGRE with interfaces for new graphics libraries.

The Java community tends to favour OpenGL because it's crossplatform (and simpler ;))

As for the speed - you'll most likely find that a pure Java implementation of OGRE is approximately the same speed as the C++ version if used with the server VM, or maybe 50-80% of the speed of the C++ version with the client VM.

Cas :)

Hi,

I agree with princec on this. Perhaps you can use the bindings to backup the code that is not completely ported to Java? That would be a nice extension to the original project, the one you're showcasing now.

Son Of Cain

Quote:
Original post by yavin02
Quote:
Original post by princec
it would be more useful to have a pure Java port of OGRE rather than a JNI binding.

What would be the advantage of a Java port, compared to the JNI bindings? IMHO porting OGRE to Java will result in another version of Java3D ;-) The speed of the native implementation will be lost ...

I agree with yavin02 here...

I see no valid reasons to port OGRE to java. A binding would take much less time to complete. I would much rather have OGRE now than wait a long time for a java port to be available (which would need constant updating to be in synch with the c++ version). A binding can be made available with relatively little work.

I would love to help out with this project. You can get in touch with me at:
earl3982@yahoo.com or just send me an instant message at earl3982 (using AIM).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!