• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

MAX conversion

This topic is 4576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think someone may have asked this before, but could someone convert a MAX file for me into something else, something that supports the animation? I would appreciate it. If you can, I could get with you on what formats I can use. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Alright, I looked around, and from what I can see you need to download the PaperPort Viewer.

http://www.visioneer.com/products/software/viewer/body.html

Open the MAX file in that, then either printscreen it, and copy it into mspaint or something, or get a copy of ePrint, program that allows you too print files directly into a lot of formats, but it's not free.

The .max format is a closed spec format afaik. However, 3dsmax can export to 3ds, and there are tools to read those.

http://lib3ds.sourceforge.net/

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

convert a MAX file for me into something else, something that supports the animation?

Are trying to say that a .max file doesnt support animation? :) Can you be a bit more specific on exactly what you need to do with a max file?

Sorry I haven't responded for a while. Work's been killer the past week or so.

Here's a more detailed rundown of my situation:
I use Blender. I have a MAX file I wish to import into Blender. MAX is a closed format, so there is no way to import it into Blender. I want to know if someone with 3ds max would be willing to convert it into something I can import. The only catch is that the mesh is animated, so the new format would need to support the animation. If you can do this, I'll get with you on what file formats I can use. Thanks a million.

Quote:
Original post by ricekrispyw
I think someone may have asked this before, but could someone convert a MAX file for me into something else, something that supports the animation?

I would appreciate it. If you can, I could get with you on what formats I can use.

Thanks in advance.

Export as .3ds or something, then use a freeware app to convert it to the DirectX .x format or something. .x supports animation.
EDIT: Ah, you don't have 3ds Max. Dunno. Might be violating some obscure term in the EULA or something.

Quote:
Original post by thannett
Alright, I looked around, and from what I can see you need to download the PaperPort Viewer.

Open the MAX file in that, then either printscreen it, and copy it into mspaint or something, or get a copy of ePrint, program that allows you too print files directly into a lot of formats, but it's not free.

WTF?
A .max file is a 3ds Max file. Printscreening it won't get the 3D data into a format that can support 3D animation. Printscreening just captures a 2D still of the screen. No 3D or animation there.

maybe, but we aren't lawyers here. we're brothers (so to speak). help a brother out. [wink]

Seriously, I don't want to be breaking any laws, but I can't imagine there's something wrong with that.

Anyone know for sure?

Quote:
Original post by Radioactivebloke
Quote:
Original post by thannett

WTF?
A .max file is a 3ds Max file. Printscreening it won't get the 3D data into a format that can support 3D animation. Printscreening just captures a 2D still of the screen. No 3D or animation there.

I didn't really get that either. [looksaround]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement