Mario Game Programming

Started by
10 comments, last by Rikrispy 18 years, 7 months ago
I am planning to make a simple mario game, With my own characters. Well really its a "Mario Clone" but, thats what I want to to. I know a bit of C++ , Anysits that can give me a Step By Step how to do it, or help me get started?? Thnx in advance
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by alexplevak
I know a bit of C++ ,

then you should also know opengl or directX to make your game

I'm not sure if there are any step by step tutorials, but a good place to get started with making 2D games is SDL. There are lots of tutorials for SDL at the site. You can also use SDL to make games with OpenGL if you want to.

It might be hard for you to follow, but you can download the source code to SuperTux, a mario clone for Linux, Windows, Mac, and BeOS - IIRC it uses SDL, and gives you the choice of using either OpenGL or a software renderer.
Start Here.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
One of the best sites I've seen on this subject is JNR Dev.

However, you will need at least a few months of C++ experience (so you can use SDL) to follow along very well.

Edit: Bah, JNRDev has lost its domain AGAIN. See if you can find a Google cache of it.
I would say go with sdl if you want to use sdl. You will be able to scroll the background with just a little bit of code. You might also want to begin making some sprites/2d art.
Hey if your looking for a designer that will work on the Mario clone for free I can do it.

Here is an example of a Mario game i designed for my own personal use, but i never programmed it. It was only ideas and graphics.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here is an open source Marioesque game called Secret Maryo Chronicles that runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. I help with bugs, porting, and the website.

Secret Maryo Chronicles!

And MammaMia, if you can do graphics, we are currently looking for world designers. [smile]
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
One of the best sites I've seen on this subject is JNR Dev.

However, you will need at least a few months of C++ experience (so you can use SDL) to follow along very well.

Edit: Bah, JNRDev has lost its domain AGAIN. See if you can find a Google cache of it.

i'm really sorry. but the domain hassles should be over by now. i bought a domain i own myself and thus don't have to rely on anyone.

http://jnrdev.72dpiarmy.com

i'm really really sorry.

some sections of the site won't work, but the tutorials are all accessible.
Check out www.Allegro.cc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement