• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Fhqwhgads

OpenGL Learning OpenGL....

This topic is 4884 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was wondering what your opinion is about my idea. Ok, I am thinking of going through NeHe's tutorials once, and learn openGL. Then I was thinking after I learn OpenGL and are confertable with it, making my own engine. I am confertable currently in my c++ skills. Now what I was wondering is NeHe's tutorials good enough to learn OpenGL enough to make a engine, or should I buy a book(Programming OpenGL for beginners)?

Advertisement
Just out of interest, why do you want to make an engine? Why not make a game? In fact, make several; start off with something simple like Pong, then move on to more difficult things like Asteroids, Breakout, Tetris and Pacman. You'll learn valuable software design and architecture skills, and you'll be able to put your new OpenGL knowledge to work quickly. You'll also have something to show to prospective employers.

NeHe is an excellent place to start with OpenGL. Learn as much as you can from the tutorials, then move on to more complex topics...

Well, I was thinking that making a engine would help me learn more.

I just want to program as a hobby, so I'm not really looking to make a good protfolio. I just was thinking making a engine would Teach me all the programming concepts, from animation, to file loading, and all sorts of other concepts that are needed in a game/engine. Because if I just do a couple of games, some of the features might not be needed. Then when I do want to make a game, I don't have to keep programming a lot of opengl functions and stuff, its already there. And programming my own engine will give me the chance to learn how engines work, and learning opengl.

Quote:
Original post by Mr_Fhqwhgads
Well, I was thinking that making a engine would help me learn more.

I just want to program as a hobby, so I'm not really looking to make a good protfolio. I just was thinking making a engine would Teach me all the programming concepts, from animation, to file loading, and all sorts of other concepts that are needed in a game/engine. Because if I just do a couple of games, some of the features might not be needed. Then when I do want to make a game, I don't have to keep programming a lot of opengl functions and stuff, its already there. And programming my own engine will give me the chance to learn how engines work, and learning opengl.

Designing is harder than implenting, and if you don't know the patterns and how to design, and implement those designs... it's kinda a catch-22 and you will be frustrated.

That's why he suggests starting small and working up because each one you do you learn more of the patterns and how to implement them.. a full 3d engine is very big and designing them is challenging. If you don't know what to do design how can you implement it.. chicken and egg thing.

I've been tinkering with OpenGL for a bit. What I've found myself doing is making something small, then starting over because it became a mess. Next time through, I get to where I was before with a much cleaner/better setup, add more/better features, it becomes a mess again, then start over again. I've learned OpenGL as I've gone along, figuring out what works and what doesn't, making something better and more featured each time.

Don't expect your first attempt to be good at all. You'll just get better at it over time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!