• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

save ram by reducing color channels?

This topic is 4589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to reduce the amount of video ram my app was taking up by replacing one of my textures with a grey-scale version of the same texture. However, when I looked at GL_LUMINANCE in the documentation it said this:
Quote:
Each element is a single luminance value. It is converted to floating point, and then assembled into an RGBA element by replicating the luminance value three times for red, green, and blue, and attaching 1.0 for alpha. Each component is then multiplied by the signed scale factor GL_c_SCALE, added to the signed bias GL_c_BIAS, and clamped to the range [0,1] (see glPixelTransfer).
Does this mean that even though I'm using a grey-scale image it's still going to take up the same amount of space as my original image?

Advertisement
Is there any way to reduce the space my texture takes up without reducing the texture's resolution or writing a pixel shader?

Would the pixels of a palletized texture just be rolled out into 32 bit RGBA pixels too?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement