• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mike74

normals with offsets???

This topic is 4763 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying the program qhull from www.qhull.org, and it gives me these options when I run it: Output options (subset): s - summary of results (default) i - vertices incident to each facet n - normals with offsets p - vertex coordinates (if 'Qc', includes coplanar points) if 'v', Voronoi vertices Fp - halfspace intersections Fx - extreme points (convex hull vertices) FA - compute total area and volume o - OFF format (if 'v', outputs Voronoi regions) G - Geomview output (2-d, 3-d and 4-d) m - Mathematica output (2-d and 3-d) QVn - print facets that include point n, -n if not TO file- output results to file, may be enclosed in single quotes What are normals with offsets? When I use this option, it gives me 4 numbers instead of 3. I thought maybe the 4th was the distance from 0 for the center of the face or something like that. So, I thought I could ignore the 4th number, but things don't look right when I draw it using the first 3 numbers. Anyhow, if you know what normals with offsets are, please enlighten me. Mike http://www.coolgroups.com/

Advertisement
The 4th number is the distance of the plane (that goes through the face) to the origin.
You can describe a plane by 4 numbers: the normal vector (3 numbers) and the distance of the plane to the origin.
Note that those 4 numbers do not tell you where the three points of the face are, though.

Hope this helps, Lutz

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!