go forth and multiply

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 8 months ago
i am trying to build a small scale 3d editor that can basically allow me to edit my 3D meshs. at the moment i am trying to figure out how to make multiple points.. 3 , 100, 1'000'000... whatever... im sure there is a simple solution to my problem.. but it is currently eluding me. my problem is that i want to individually handle each point in the 3d mesh as a seperate point.. name, position... whatever else it basically needs to be its own piece of data.. so i thought i would try an array.. but then an array is limited and if you put a huge number for the array.. it will consume a proportionately larger amount of memory than neccisarily required.. even then it cannot be exceeded so does anyone know how ,while my program is running, i can create new ,basically , new pieces of data that are seperate from others also i do not want to use code stating that there are X number of total points and the positions are... ( .. ) perhaps someone knows how i might not exactly solve the problem but how i might best handle it for now? im quite confudled on this.. help is much appreciated
Advertisement
In computing science an array that can be resized dynamically on demand is usually called a vector. C++ provides an excellent implementation through the STL. You can dump stuff in it and its never full before your memory is.

Greetz,

Illco
i havent yet tryed out your suggestion but i have just found some info on what you said and it looks like i can use it perfectly to what i want.. thank you very much :)
this is really off topic, i'm sorry ..
congratulations on choosing your topic title :) had to laugh quite a bit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement