• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Problem with MFC - CImageList

This topic is 4591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm doing like this:
CImageList imgList;

this->imgList.Create(32, 100, ILC_COLOR, 100);
CBitmap *hb = CBitmap::FromHandle(this->lvl->imageHandleList[0]);
this->imgList.Add(hb, RGB(0,0,0));
The program crashes on the call to Add(). I have absolutely no idea why this won't work. Anyone can see if i've missed something? imageHandleList is a Vector of HBITMAP's and i know it's initialized. I'm not sure what more info will help, please ask and i'll provide everything that i can... EDIT: Ok, i had to catch a bus when i posted, and was in a hurry, so my post might have been a bit short. Anyway, I'm trying to add a CImageListBox to my program, and it's using CImageList. CImageList::Add() takes a pointer to a CBitmap and an int. Luckily i found the function CBitmap::FromHandle which is said to take a HBITMAP and return a CBitmap pointer. I load that into CImageList::Add and the program crashes. It looks like an assertion error. I know that the pointer returned from FromHandle() is, at least, a valid pointer, and i know imageHandleList is correct (i'm using that vector for a few other things). This is starting to feel like one of those unlogical errors, but it's more like i've missed something important =) [Edited by - Android_s on August 1, 2005 10:58:39 AM]

Advertisement
Anyone?
Any advice...even if it's just a thought, or article/tutorial about CImageList, is higly appreciated =)

Well, first, try calling 'new' on 'hb' before you initialize it. I have had this problem before, but I do not remember EXACTLY how I fixed it. But I have had to initialize pointers before I assigned anything to it. Try that. =)

On every FromHandle function there's a note in the MSDN: Do not store the pointer, as it may be temporary. You need to create an actual CBitmap and keep it. The CBitmap* you receive from FromHandle is functional only a short while.

Create a real CBitmap and call Attach on the HBITMAP handle.

Argh! I just discovered the error i made, and it was indeed something i missed. When looking through MSDN i missed that the Create() which i used took 5 parameters, not four, and that Create() most likely stored the first value as a pointer. >_<

Thank you anyway for the replies.

Endurion:
Do you know if i have to save that new bitmap in a list somewhere, or if it's "copied" into the list? I hope for the latter when i already have 2 lists, one with TGA image data, and one with their respective image handles.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement