• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MTclip

2 questions related to speed and efficiency

This topic is 4760 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

q#1) - what kind of overhead is brought about when using static casts... is it a slow process, or can it pretty much be used freely? q#2) - Ive heard negatives about the stl vector being slow... what would be a better solution with the same type of functionality? ??? ;P ???

Advertisement
1) It depends purely on the cast. Casting from an unsigned int to an int will involve absolutely zero runtime overhead. Casting from float to int is more likely to generate slight overhead. But this is rarely the cause of slow code, so don't worry about it.

2) The std::vector is not necessarily the fastest possible implementation. But it is almost certainly better (faster) than anything you can write yourself. Combined with a custom allocator (loki and boost pooled allocators are common), it's very difficult to beat the STL vector, except in very specific usage scenarios.

It depends on the usage of vector. If you are adding/removing stuff to the end of the vector (push_back) then it is extremely fast, because that is what vector is used for. any other insertion requires linear time. for more information about STL check out this website:
http://cplus.about.com/od/stl/

I have found it very useful as I am still new to STL myself.

~guyaton

Guest Anonymous Poster
STL vector can be slow for 2 reasons:
1) You do lots of allocations that cause the storage buffer to be resized a lot. This can generally be mitigated by calling reserve() with a reasonable value.

2) You do lots of deletes. There is no way to combat the slow-down in this case because the nature of the operation involves a crap-load of memory copying. If this is your problem you should swith to std::deque. Deque is a super-cool data structure that provides all the functionality of vector, but offers much faster deletes. The cost is that you get a very minimal slow-down when accessing a random element in the structure. I've had great luck with std::deque in the past.

--ajas

thanks for that...

but a little more on the first question..

this i kinda what i am doing..

i have a base class of substantial size...
in this class store the type of derived class it is through an enum
"m_baseType = DERIVED1;"

my derived classes add on to the base and sets the appropiate enum value for their type..
"m_baseType = DERIVED7;"

in a vecotor i store pointers to the derived classes as though they were the base class..
"vector<base*> myStuff;"

then when i need to use the class in the vector i check its enum then static cast it to the proper derived class..

switch (myStuff.at(2)->m_baseType)
{
case: DERIVED1
static_cast<DERIVED1*>(myStuff.at(2));
break;

case: DERIVED7
static_cast<DERIVED7*>(myStuff.at(2))
break;

}
// this could be in a function that would return the cast type..

is that good practice? or a no no?

Generally speaking (although as with many things, this is by no means absolute) if you have to downcast, your inheritance hierarchy is probably somewhat non-optimal.

One of the main points of inheritance is polymorphism, i.e. that objects sharing a common interface may behave differently depending on underlying type. In order to extend a class publicly, the subclass should wish to share the base class' public interface and provide different but relevant implementations for virtual functions.

Basically, if objects are related by public inheritance and are used by reference to the base class, there should be a common interface by which they can be manipulated and varying behaviour should be implemented using virtual functions rather than switch statements.

Hope that helps.

Yeah that's an OOP no-no.

What exactly are you doing that requires you to know the derived class? You should replace whatever that is with a function that your derived classes override.

So for example, say you're finding the derived class so that you can print the thing out as a string. What you *should* do is have an abstract toString() on the base class, define a toString() for every derived class, and call toString() on your copy of the base-class.

Having derived classes works best when the outsider class neither knows nor cares which derived class he is using. All he knows is that whatever class he has, it's going to fulfill the responsibilities of the base class, and it knows how to take care of itself.

for those who like demonstrations:

#include <string>

using namespace std;

class CBase
{
public:
virtual toString() {};

string m_str;
};

class CDerived
{
public:
virtual toString() { this->m_str.cstr(); }
};

CBase *derived = new CDerived();

if( strcmp( "somestring", derived->toString() ) == 0 )
{
//something
}

Quote:

Having derived classes works best when the outsider class neither knows nor cares which derived class he is using. All he knows is that whatever class he has, it's going to fulfill the responsibilities of the base class, and it knows how to take care of itself.

the function doesn't care what the base class is, just calls the derived classes function.

okay yeah that makes sense... i did not know that you were supposed to put virtual on the base and derived class function...

thanks for it ;P

You don't need to put virtual on the derived class's function unless you want the derived class to be extended and overriden itself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!