• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

SOLVED: C++ ostringstream problems...

This topic is 4591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using std::ostringstream. It works perfectly well, but there's something odd.
	std::ostringstream buffer;
	buffer << "data/00" << level << ".txt";

std::string filename;
	filename = buffer.str();

std::ifstream file(filename.c_str());

In the above code, I create a stream called 'buffer' and use it to create a filename, 'data/001.txt' or whatever. I then need to convert the buffer to a C style string so that I can use it with ifstream, but as far as I know you can't do it directly, you have to convert it to a C++ string object first. This seems a bit messy! Is there a simpler way? [Edited by - darenking on August 1, 2005 3:09:32 PM]

Advertisement
There is no need whatsoever to actually copy the internal string out to a separate string object. std::ifstream file(filename.str().c_str()); works just fine.

Which does in fact copy it to a separate string object, however it's a temporary.

Also, you might like:

buffer << "data/" << std::setfill('0') << std::setw(3) << level << ".txt";

that is, if 'level' is a number, and you want it zero-filled like that, and it's 3 digits wide...

Perhaps you'll find this interesting as well :)

Then you could do something like

std::ifstream file(text("data/")(std::setfill('0'))(std::setw(3))(level)(".txt"));

(after providing an implicit const char* cast in the same style as the provided std::string cast). Although providing this sort of cast in general is a bad idea (hence why strings and stringstreams themselves don't :) ), since they could be invoked when you wouldn't expect them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement