Check Out My First Game

Started by
11 comments, last by CTar 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi Guys, I have completed my first game ever and i would like to share it with you all. Its a pong clone named Pong Combat Download it here : http://www.geocities.com/hanifv/Pong_Combat_v1.0.zip Please have a look at it and tell me how the game is. Post in all your suggestions and any bugs that you spot P.S : Did you read a post on the forums some time ago , where one guy asked suggestions for his pong game's name in the chat room and ended up getting 150 odd weird names, all of which were mentioned in that post. Well that guy was me
Advertisement
Linkified for the Lazy

I will be back to give you a review in a few.

Ok, I played through it a couple of times, and didn't notice any bugs. The game looks good, ran pretty smooth (for the most part, those paddels were a little jumpy). As for suggestions, background music. Its good for a first game, and the only thing lacking was some good upbeat music to pong out to. Good job, and keep it up.

edit: And yeah I remember that post as well, heh.
---------------Full Time Musician: Staggerin' Monks
lol thanks
Thanks a lot Hackmaster.

I will take your suggestions into consideration. Can you give me some links to places where i can get free background music for my games ?
Out of all the people whom i showed this game, 2 of them reported a weird problem, that the ball went through the paddle. But for the others, it was just fine. I dont want my first game to be buggy :(.I can only come to a conclusion, and try to fix any problems it has, if more people test it out.

If you do spot a bug, pls report it along with ur system spec
I didn't download the game, but if a ball flies through a paddle, I can guess what happened:
1. You're using time based movement and simple collision detection.
2. The person's computer hanged (maybe their anti-virus software decided to run a process) and the next timestamp was so large that the ball existed before and after the paddle but no where in between.

A quick fix is to make the maximum timestamp 20 or so milliseconds. Thats what I've done until I implement more advanced collision detection (and even then I may keep my max timestamp in).
Thanks Scott

But the 2 people that reported the problem, said that it happened every time they played the game. Every single time. Their system specs were also fast enough. I will look into the time stamp's advice that gave me.
not bad! i bet it must have taken you a while to work on the ai of computer controlled paddle?
Very nice. I didn't notice any problems running it.

If you're looking for music or sound effects any time, you can try this list, although not everything listed is free, and you'll have to check the licencing on anything you use. If you aren't planning to sell your game you can get some short royalty free music loops for free from the relevant section of this page.

Other than that I'm afraid my list doesn't currently include much in the way of free music, but you could make a help wanted post asking for some basic music from a composer for free, someone might be willing to help you out just to see thier music in a completed game.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks guys,

Thanks ursus, i really worked hard on making my A.I efficient and different

Kazgoroth , thanks for all that info :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement