Appropriate physics library?

Started by
13 comments, last by Jernej.L 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by b34r
I won't take the pain to reboot into Windows to provide a screenshot but if I have to, well, I will. I'm not saying that freely. I really like Newton but the point is that with the current version of the Newton Playground 99 bodies are above 60fps and 100 bodies are around 0.0000000647576fps. Don't know, don't care why. It's my experience with it.

Well I am sorry the Newton engine was so horrendous to you. That have not been the case with me, in fact I had seeing plenty of games and demos using the Newton engine that certainly show more than a hundred objects.
One thing they say is that the engine is not using any iterative solver so maybe this is why stacking of hundred of objects is slow, but I am not doing that so maybe for me is okay.

On the bright site you seem to be a true genius that in creating your own physics algorithms as you go alone, which allow for thousand of stacking. I have seen your demos here in the forum and maybe one day your will go on to make the fastest. more robust physics engine ever made, better than Havoc, Novodex, ODE, Newton, True axis, Tokomak.
I am not as smart as you are and for me the Newton engine has worked as expected according to the laws of physics as they are stated, and within the specification they say.

Maybe when you released yours for the public, if I need to stack several thousands object I shelved Newton and take a look at your technology.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jovani
[...]

Just what exactly am I supposed to say now? You obviously will twist whatever I might write to take it the wrong way. You see evil where there is none.

As for the personal stuff, it's perfectly uncalled for and full of inexact assumptions...

edit: It appears that you must be some kind of Newton evangelist. I don't need marketing ninjas messing with my free time.

[Edited by - b34r on August 2, 2005 10:16:11 AM]
Praise the alternative.
Hey I am not fighting with you and I am not evangelizing anything.
I used ODE and Tokomak before. ODE exact solver is too prompt to blow up and the iterative solvers of both aren’t stable enough for mechanical articulated bodies.
Also I am not twisting anything either, you were the one who said the fps is 0.0000000647576 fps and I thought that, that was an exaggeration since this is the equivalent to 174 days per frame of animation.
Even if the frame counter says that, it can not possible be true
Quote:Original post by jovani
Hey I am not fighting with you and I am not evangelizing anything.
I used ODE and Tokomak before. ODE exact solver is too prompt to blow up and the iterative solvers of both aren’t stable enough for mechanical articulated bodies.
Also I am not twisting anything either, you were the one who said the fps is 0.0000000647576 fps and I thought that, that was an exaggeration since this is the equivalent to 174 days per frame of animation.
Even if the frame counter says that, it can not possible be true

edit: My apologies, today has been a bad day and I'm certainly to blame for putting the discussion in such a bad shape.

Well, glad to read that you are not fighting me.
I explicitely said many times that I consider Newton to be a very good engine. That doesn't mean it's perfect and will fit all situations. At least, not yet.

Of course a frame won't take that long to compute but dropping over 100 cubes in Newton Playground does bring my computer to a halt (ctrl+alt+suppr to kill the app).

Surely this is a problem worth pointing out?
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

[Edited by - b34r on August 2, 2005 1:38:54 PM]
Praise the alternative.
"Newton will get horribly slow if you try to do too many complex things at a time ( like sub-zero fps's....)"

i was about to evangelize newton but i will just tell my experiences with it:

- it is free for commercial and freeware use (if you can't give them at least proper credit you should be shot aniway)
- it works extremely well with static triangle meshes & cars & cubes etc.. it doesn't have dynamic triangle meshes but they already shown demos of that which will be in next version and it really looks good.
- it doesn't "explode" - it is extremely stable (better than novodex or ode)
- it has a lot of cool stuff, like rendering collision geometry
- it fits into any graphical package, including windows gdi if you really want..
- with compound collision objects you can make miracles
- the material system is a big mess
- portable on mac, windows and linux!!
- really good sdk and documentation
- doesn't rely on object-junk, it is totally procedural
- can be used in practically anyprogramming language

...etc etc.. the only issuse is that it isn't ported to consoles yet and that progress is very slow (the developers really know what they are doing and they are doing it very well and precise), so a built-in raycast car is not yet availible if you are interested in cars but you can use built-in car joint or make your own raycast cars..

Projects: Top Down City: http://mathpudding.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement