2D Graphics/Game Library?

Started by
15 comments, last by chad_420 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend an open source (cross platform) 2D graphics library that would be helpful in creating a 2D sprite/tile based game. I have found a lot of helpful 3D libraries, but I think I would like to start out with 2D. I once read (I forget where) that using OpenGL for a tile based game is often not the best way to do things. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks, Sam
Advertisement
assuming you're talking c/c++ then
SDL
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
yes, sorry, I am talking about C/C++ (I can't decide which one I like better..)

SDL you say. Alright I will look into it. Performance wise it is alright?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sam
Check out this and bookmark it. Thanks to Kylotan for maintaining that list.
allegro is another option.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Like some of the above posters have mentioned, I'd say SDL. It is really good because it makes putting graphics onscreen a breeze. I read through 1 or 2 of the Cone3D tutorials and I was able to get a small sprite up on the screen that I could move around.
Trust me, Allegro is a LOT easier. I've tried both. Allegro is by easier for a beginner, or for that matter- anyone. with just 2 to 3 lines of Allegro code you can get a sprite or a shape on the screen. take a look at this tutorial( ) and compare it to the Cone3D tutorials.
Hmmm... that END_OF_MAIN() macro looks a little funny (Allegro) I am not sure what I think of trickery like this. I know SDL does something funny too with SDLmain. I have been using GLFW for OpenGL windowing etc... I like how it seems pretty standard.

I think someone told me that you don't need that, but I put it there anyway. Why would you care about that?
I have never seen anything like the END_OF_MAIN() before. Actually, it is the first time I have ever seen anything come after the main {}. I think it is some wanky MS Windows thing, but I am not sure what. I found it in the alwin.h header file, but I couldnt really follow what it was doing. I believe it has something to do with WinMain vs. main. I guess I don't really blame allegro as much as windows.

Sam

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement