Sign in to follow this  
ballrog

Need advice about which game engine to use

ballrog    122
Hi Im considering to purchase a game engine license, and currently im looking at the following two engines: "Torque Game Engine" and "3D Game Studio". The price seems ok for both of them: 100$ for the Torque engine, and 49-899$ for the 3D game studio engine based on what features you want with the engine. I have up to now been programming some in DirectX, but due to the fact that i dont have so much free time anymore, i dont get around to code an entire game engine to create a game. I want to have an engine that i can start making games with right away, and if needed can be customized by adding code to the engine. Ive had a little experience with 3D game studio at earlier versions, but didnt like it too well then because of the limtiations it had, and that it had a difficult way of implementing code written in C++ which i want to use for code writing. But it seems that it has improved greatly since that time. Besides that, the forums have many posts each day, something that shows you have a good chance of getting youre questions answered pretty fast. I have fairly little knowledge about the Torque engine besides what i read from the faq sites. Alot of the info about the engine, is restricted to licensed users, like the forums etc. What ive read seems promising though: the terrain engine is quite powerfull, and that it is open sourced so you can add features to the engnine by coding in C++. Ive also read that the exporters for programs like 3D Studio Max etc. are also good. The demo that you could download looked real cool too:) I would appreciate if anyone can give me some info, preferably about the two engines mentioned above. But other suggestions of 3D game engines is also welcome.

Will F    1069
You might want to look at this 3D engine database.

Here's a link to their Torque page, which currently has 36 reviews.

Here's the page for 3DGameStudio

You also might want to look around at some of the open source 3D engines and see if any would suit your purposes and have a license that is acceptable for you. Some popular ones are OGRE, Crystal Space, and Irrlicht.

ballrog    122
Thanks for the response and tips:)
I think ill check out those non-comercial engines first. Crystal Space seems promising, I like what some people has written about being able to use it for creating other applications besides games.