Sign in to follow this  
Radioactivebloke

A 3D app....

Ok. I have spent about 2 hours looking for a piece of software that suits my desires. Here are the specs: *Good modelling tools (GUI of course) *Texturing and materials (eg bump map, specular map) *Lighting *Rendering *Animation *Under £70 ($120, 140 Euros) 3ds Max would be perfect but 3ds Max > my money [crying] I have looked at 3D Canvas Pro as a possibiliy but if anyone has any experience with it please give info :D I also downloaded a free Java app (can't remember what is was called now) which I am going to try. If anyone knows of any decent software that fits those specs please let me know!!! Thanks :D

Maya has a personal learning edition that is free. It has all you wanted. The only difference is it'll put a watermark on all your renders that says "Maya Personal Learning Edition" or something along those lines. It's great if you just need something to model in or want to learn Maya.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure about Maya, but I know many programs that have free editions include a clause in the license that says that you cannot use anything created by that program for profit. So if you're going to try that route and you want to use the program for anything more than experimentation or school projects, make sure you read through the license.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You could use blender.....it's a great app.....

It just takes some time to get used to.

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you are student, then you can get RealSoft 3d for 150e.

www.realsoft.fi

I am not a student yet. I have tried the Maya PLE in the past but found it really hard to use. I might try Blender again though it seemed quite complicated. RealSoft might be interesting for when I am a student (about 5-6 years).

Thanks for the input!