• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xegoth

I-Pod Silhouette effect?

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm thinking about creating an I-Pod effect (colored background with silhoutted model in front). Given a dancing 3d model, can anyone think of any good ways to impliment this? I know there's more than one way to get the effect, but I'm looking for something that would look really good and (hopefully) not be ridiculously difficult to impliment. Ideas?

Advertisement
Well if the model was textured/colored black with no lighting effects at all (pure flat shading) it would probably give you what you want. Anti-aliasing would smooth out the edges while keeping the overall silhouette effect.

Is there a way for me to get the same effect without changing a models texture (so I'd be able to easily flip the effect on and off)

You could saturate the texture black in a shader. The models texture would stay the same but you would alter it on the fly.

ace

Just use a tfactor of all black, set that as your second color argument and use SELECTARG2. Everything will be black. Requires some state changes, so maybe the lighting thing is better.

--Vic--

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!