[.net] Where did MFC go?

Started by
10 comments, last by Enselic 18 years, 8 months ago
Can you create windows programs easily using .net like using mfc in vc++ 6? Where has mfc gone to? I downloaded the VC2005 beta 2 and it is nowhere to be found. I can't afford to buy VC2005 when it comes out, and was wondering if I could create windows apps without resorting to windows API. Please help, ProgrammingNerd
Advertisement
Just choose "Windows Application" in the project creation wizard. That'll set you up with some code and get you on your way to making Windows gui apps. I'm sure that once you start using the .net gui facilities you won't be missing MFC anymore.
To help you search for more info.... MFC has now been replaced by 'Windows Forms'.

C# is a good language to use with it, but you can use C++ as well if you prefer.

For a good intro book, I recommend 'Windows Forms Programming with C#' by Erik Brown.
Thanks a lot for your responces. What is a good book for using windows forms in c++?
It went just were it should have went. Move on to .net for GUI's.
where did MFC go? hopefully straight to hell.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

But what about legacy code? Surely VC2005 will support MFC when it is released.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer's Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]
MFC has not been replaced by .NET. MFC and .NET are two different technologies.

MFC is not dead. They new version of MFC will be in the Visual Studio .NET 2005, but not in the Express products. The new version of MFC is enhanced mainly in the are of .NET interoperability (for example, the ability to host a .NET form inside a MFC view).

Granted I wouldn't recommend starting a new product in MFC, but it's not dead. It's still important for all the legacy code out there.

Read more here: MFC: Visual Studio 2005 and Beyond
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
My version of vs2005 still has mfc app templates for c++?
Then again I got the full dvd version so maybe it's not included in the download version.
MFC is still around since last time I checked alot of the directx sdk c++ samples are still using it!
If you are new to windows gui programming windows forms are alot easier and faster to write and that's what microsoft is pushing but remember there are still some things that mfc can do that windows forms can't so that's why it's still around.
Qt is another choice if you want to go crossplatform too.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by ProgrammingNerd
I can't afford to buy VC2005 when it comes out, and was wondering if I could create windows apps without resorting to windows API.

You can almost certainly afford it if you're a student, in which case it will most likely be $99. If you can afford to buy two video games, you can afford to buy VS2005.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement