Legal Selling

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 8 months ago
Now I'm pretty sure I know the answer for this but just to be sure, can I sell any games that I make to anybody? I just can't use copyrighted material without permission and I should mention what I used such as products and people in the credits. If there are any other specs I need to know about please post them because I don't want to be sued..lol...its a safety precaution.
Advertisement
I'm pretty sure you don't need to list the products that you used if the prodect doesn't require it. If you make a game in Dev-C++, since it's under LGPL you can distribute it royalty and mention free. You also don't have to list people in the credits if you legally own their work, and didn't promise you would put them in the credits (I think).

Of course, if you make a game with some trial-edition 'game maker' program, without buying the license, then yes, it's illegal.

It depends on the tool. Usually compilers (that don't say STUDENT EDITION or TRIAL EDITION) are safe. Anything using LGPL is safe too, I think.
If it's all your original work and you do not restribute anything except your work, you're pretty safe.

If you want to redistrubte something like DirectX, then you need to follow all of thier guidelines.

If you use GPL code, then among other things, you have to make your source-code available upon written request and accompany the GPL license with your product (you are not required to include the source code with binary nor provide it to the public at large online, only provide upon written reqest). You don't have to provide orginal artwork either.

Also, using gcc is not the same as using GPL code. You can use Dev C++ and gcc to produce the game, for example, and you are not required distribute under the GPL. I think it's MinGW that LGPL, which means you need to redistribute the mingw dll and licensing, and follow any other LGPL requirements. If you link directly, not through the dll, then you have to distribute under the LGPL.

If you reach the point where you want to distribute and charge money, hiring an IP lawyer will probably well be worth the money.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Quote:Original post by Shannon Barber
I think it's MinGW that LGPL, which means you need to redistribute the mingw dll and licensing, and follow any other LGPL requirements. If you link directly, not through the dll, then you have to distribute under the LGPL.

I think you mixed up Cygwin and MinGW.

The MinGW compiler suite links to Microsoft's C runtime library (msvcrt.dll, or something), so compiling a program with MinGW's GCC won't automatically force you to use any specific license (so long as you don't link with something else that's GPL/LGPL, of course).

Cygwin links you to the Cygwin POSIX emulation layer (cygwin.dll, or something), which is GPL (unless they've changed it recently), meaning that you'd have to release your own code under the GPL as well.

Most people use MinGW, unless they're porting *nix software and need the POSIX emulation, since you have greater freedom with it.

For More information check the MinGW and/or Cygwin websites.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement