Sign in to follow this  
ShdwMarth

Game Development Hardware

ShdwMarth    100
I'm not sure if this would go here so don't flame me please. I would like to nkow how good of a computer is needed for game development. Will any computer that can play games well work or do you need a $5,000 or more god computer?

poss74    193
That really depends on what type of game you're developing. For console games, you could get away with a machine with the bare minimum to run VC++. But if you're developing an FPS, you'll probably want something a bit meatier. [grin]

Mind you, if you have a dev machine that's not top of the line, and your game runs just fine on it, you'll have a larger audience for it. [lol]

Programmer16    2321
I bought my computer for 600 dollars. Then I bought a new motherboard (because EMachine motherboards suck and it didn't have an AGP slot) and a 9250 ATI Radeon 128MB graphics card, and 512MB stick of RAM. So I spent less than $1000 on my computer and it runs most everything (besides programs that use HDRL or shader versions 2.0 or higher) at respectable framerate.

So the answer is no, you don't need $5000 super computer. It also depends on what you plan on developing. I could have gone without upgrading my RAM and Graphics card because I only plan on developing 2D games.

For 2D games I'd recommend:
1GHZ > processor (not a celeron)
64MB graphics card
512MB RAM

For 3D games I'd recommend:
2GHz > processor
128MB graphics card
1GB RAM

Of course, these are my opinions.

Spoonbender    1258
Quote:
Original post by ShdwMarth
I'm not sure if this would go here so don't flame me please. I would like to nkow how good of a computer is needed for game development. Will any computer that can play games well work or do you need a $5,000 or more god computer?

Well, for actual development, anything will do, even a 200mhz Pentium 2. :)
But keep in mind, it might be an advantage if your computer is actually able to run your game too (preferably even run early unoptimized versions, while also running the programming IDE, debugger and a few other tools)

So no, you don't need anything special, but a fast system sure makes things easier.

Ravuya    135
I've built games on clunkers before (up until about a year ago, I was using an AMD K6-2/200 as my main development machine). Having a nicer machine does definitely help (particularly for pre-gcc4 compile speeds) but even today's budget computers are more than good enough to build the kind of games you can make at the moment.

Hell, I started on a Commodore 64 and some of the best games of all time were there. You don't need horsepower to build games, and as was said previously having an overpowered machine may "hide" performance bottlenecks that everyone else will see when they play your game.

Sr_Guapo    876
$5000 for any computer is retarded. For that much, you better have at least 2 dual core opterons and 8 GB of RAM.

Really, as long as your hardware can run your game and all the features you should be good. Any of the Geforce 6 series cards will run all current hardware features (including SM 3.0, if that interests you). The 6200 can be had for under $100.

coderx75    435
Just write it and if it runs too slow... you probably need to opimize your game. Don't buy a new computer (unless you're a sick graphics programmer and eat pixel shaders for breakfast, of course).

Iced_Eagle    349
You don't need really beefy computers to create anything.

Heck, one of my friend intern'ed at DICE Sweden creating content for Battlefield Modern Combat for PS2/Xbox and for their artists, they use the good ol' GeForce 4 Ti series cards... EA doesn't give them the top of the line nvidia 7800's or anything because there is no need. They are aiming at consoles and are using the performance equivalent of that console on a computer (or bumped up to allow the programs to run)... Basically in anything you do, if you have sh*tty performance, you need to optimize it.