Sign in to follow this  
Rebuto

exporting directx shader material from 3ds max to .x not working!

Hello people, I´m trying out the new directx extensions for 3ds max that come as part of the directx sdk (I´m using the june edition dx sdk and 3ds max 7 sp1). This includes a new exporter which I expected to be better than the old xskinexp.dle that used to ship with the dx sdk. The documentation for the new plugin... http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/directxsdk/Tools/Content/DXExtensions/MaxPlugIn.asp ...claims that it can export directx 9 shader materials. However, I´m trying to export a cube that has one of these materials applied. Everything looks good within max, I can see the right shader being used, can tweak shader parameters and so on. However when I export the scene into a .x file I don´t get any shader data. Looking at the .x file, I can see that there are no references to a .fx file that the material should use, and I don´t get any shader parameter values either. I only get this BS: Material { 0.000000;0.000000;0.000000;0.000000;; 0.000000; 0.000000;0.000000;0.000000;; 0.000000;0.000000;0.000000;; } which is of course useless. The zeros are just the face color, specular power, etc, it´s just the standard material lighting info, nothing to do with the shader I´m actually using in the material. There are no EffectInstances defined within the material either. I don´t know if I´m doing something wrong (I don´t think so, I´ve been very careful) or if the documentation is wrong and the new plugin doesn´t export shader materials (that seems too odd). So, has anyone had any success using the new plugin to export dx shader materials from max? Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention that the same scene will export ok using the Panda exporter. We can´t really use the panda exporter as port of our art pipeline though, due to the project spec.

Thanks again.