Sign in to follow this  
sathenzar

Cellphones and programming tutorials

hey everyone, do u know where would be a good place to start on how to make cellphone programs? If I already know how to make PC Applications(via C++/Win32..etc) is there a way with .NET that I can make it also run on a cellphone or do you need to code a whole new program? Thanks in advance.

and if possible if you could list what programming language you think is best for programming for cellphones if you could list it I would appreciate it.

What he said. The two major cell phone environments right now are BREW (C/C++) and J2ME (Java). But independant development with BREW is near impossible. So, until you get that job with a cell phone game company, J2ME is the best way to go.

ok then, thanks for your help. One last question, I hope this doesn't sound to stupid but if there is any keywords you could suggust for google except j2mE cellphone programming tutorials then if you could please post some ideas.
Thanks again for your help.

Quote:
Original post by pinacolada
What he said. The two major cell phone environments right now are BREW (C/C++) and J2ME (Java). But independant development with BREW is near impossible. So, until you get that job with a cell phone game company, J2ME is the best way to go.

Hmm, Symbian C++ probably bigger platform then BREW. Or will be bigger soon.

Wow, I appreicate all the help that has been given so far. I have researched a little in BREW. I would like to stick to a C++ based system b/c I don't know to much about Java. I will learn it if I have to but it'd be easier for me if it was C++ based. One last question. Will BREW or Symbian support all cellphones? Or will it only work on certian types? Thanks in advance.

(Sorry)I have two more questions, 1:) why is Java the main programming language for cellphone apps? 2:)I would eventually like to make games for cellphones. Can BREW/Java make games? If it's BREW, do I program my games with DirectX or somthing else? Thanks in advance.

Java (J2ME) is the main programming language because it has the largest number of phones that support it.

I don't know anything about BREW because we don't have any handsets that support it here in Australia (is it available outside the US???), but with Symbian C++ you can deveop with OpenGL ES (on a few handsets) if you want to do 3d.

Forum Nokia has heaps of great info, for both J2ME and Symbian.

good luck!

Yeah, sorry I should have qualified that by saying that BREW and J2ME are the two big ones in the US. Symbian is pretty big, but it seems like (in my limited experience) not that many American companies target it. Maybe they are all just being lazy and deploying their Java builds to Symbian phones.

Quote:

If it's BREW, do I program my games with DirectX or somthing else

It has a drawing API but it doesn't use DirectX. From the programmer's point of view, using BREW's API will probably be a similar experience as using the DirectX API. BREW's drawing abilities are extremely limited though.

Quote:
Original post by sathenzar
I would like to stick to a C++ based system b/c I don't know to much about Java. I will learn it if I have to but it'd be easier for me if it was C++ based.

If you know C++, you should pick up Java easy enough. [smile]

ok, thank you for your help. I will continue to research BREW for now. If any one has any suggustions on any prime sites that get you started into BREW game programming that would be great. I know it wouldn't be much use now, since I don't know BREW I shouldn't go into Game Programming via BREW. I would just like it as reference in the furture. Thanks for all the help so far everyone has been really helpful.

I think you should give Java a chance. The problem with going with BREW is that it is a closed platform. Unless you are a registered developer (and that costs $$$) you won't have any way to get the games onto the phone, they will only run on an emulator. So BREW is not really a viable option for hobbyists and small indies. If you are hell bent on sticking to C++ then use Symbian.

shmoove

Quote:
Original post by Miranda
I don't know anything about BREW because we don't have any handsets that support it here in Australia (is it available outside the US???)

One provider here in Israel uses BREW, and AFAIK it is quite common in some far-eastern countries.
BREW is strongly linked to the CDMA technology (Qualcomm is the maker of most CDMA chipsets and also BREW), so usually anywhere there is a CDMA network there will be at least a few BREW phones (though this is not really mandated, a CDMA phone can be J2ME). Australia and Europe are GSM-land so BREW is practically non-existent there.

shmoove

cool, thanks for that shmoove. But we do have a CDMA network here as well, it covers the more remote areas, so that majority of the people use GSM, but there are plenty of CDMA phones out there as well.

Ok everyone, sorry to come back to this topic and ask the same question but I am having a hard time finding info for BREW and Symbain. I'm trying to research them all to see which one I want to go for. So if you coudl provide some more links I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

[Edited by - sathenzar on August 9, 2005 10:35:31 PM]