Possible Time Extension

Started by
28 comments, last by xCronus 18 years, 8 months ago
I'm glad you guys all agree with me. And when everyone needs time extensions, I'm going to "WTF" and "I told you so" all over the place.
Advertisement
a month time extension is to much, but im sure a 15 day would be great, why ? because even when you plan things haed of shedule to meet the deadline sometimes things happen and all can go wrong, even when u plan, thats just life, i think after the deadline closure we could have more 15 days to deliver the project, each day that passes we would have a penalty on judging points.

it doenst mean it has to be 15, could be 5 or 10 days. NO one would want to loose judging points, but if something happens, one could have some more days to catch up, just imagine you get sick a week from the deadline, or some realtive dies, or some emergency comes up, just imagine you plan to submit your game in the last day possible, and some emergency comes up, and you miss the deadline by 2 days, how would you feel ??

im sure the world would collapse for me and i would lose all my motivation for future projects, but thats just me.

besides, it wouldnt be one more week that would make an over ambitious project completed, or helped added one more thousend features for a well planned deadline design.

just my 2 cents.
If the justification of an extnesion is to improve the quality of entries then obviously the contest should be extended to approx 2 years so fully-featured pro games can be entered.
But people should plan their entries. If they know they're very busy then don't enter or plan a very simple project, perhaps using 3rd-party libraries.

If it would allow .NET2 to be used, a short extension might be sensible since that's actually a reason...
Quote:Original post by mustra
a month time extension is to much, but im sure a 15 day would be great, why ? because even when you plan things haed of shedule to meet the deadline sometimes things happen and all can go wrong, even when u plan

If that happens, then either it's something of a massive scale where 15 days wouldn't help, or you havn't really planned all that well. I don't know about everyone else, but when I come up with a plan that involves finishing by a deadline my plan involves "buffer time". In the case of 4E4 I plan to finish by October 10. This leaves me with 21 days of time for additional bug testing if everything goes to plan, but if something happens and throws off my plan it means I have to be thrown off by a full 21 days before it's a problem.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth

If that happens, then either it's something of a massive scale where 15 days wouldn't help, or you havn't really planned all that well. I don't know about everyone else, but when I come up with a plan that involves finishing by a deadline my plan involves "buffer time". In the case of 4E4 I plan to finish by October 10. This leaves me with 21 days of time for additional bug testing if everything goes to plan, but if something happens and throws off my plan it means I have to be thrown off by a full 21 days before it's a problem.

Same here, our current schedule allows for about 2-3 weeks of "polish" time and fixing any remaining bugs after the game is basically complete.
Well of course you guys know that I support it.....I suggested it.

I'm not asking for another 4 years so that Half-Life 3 and Quake 4 can enter, I'm just suggesting the staff and judges consider offering a small time extension in case something does come up unexpectedly.

I understand some people feel this would give others an unfair advantage, but a small extension wouldn't allow the addition of any huge new features, this extra will come along when everyone is finishing their projects, not adding guns/abilities/a whole new dimension of gameplay.
Just think to yourself "the deadline is 15th/21st October", then if something comes up you have an extension of 1/2 weeks. If it doesn't, backup the version on 15th/21st and then test the entry for bugs, improve content, polish menu systems etc etc.
^^^Well said.
There is no plan for an extension. The only reason we would consider an extension would be to accomodate the judges, and even that isn't likely.

Consider yourselves developers and GameDev.net your publisher. We want the game in gold form by the deadline.

And fret not.. we are going to buck the one contest a year trend.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

Womp Womp Wooooommmmmmmmp.......

What if an, *accident*, were to befall a ju.....jk haha.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement