Sign in to follow this  
OpenGL_VC

OpenGL How could I render a pigtail hair model with opengl?

I am doing a project about hair render,now I want to build a pigtail hair model. But I don't know what the math arithmetic it was, I mean the arithmetic of the pigtail 3D model. could someone give me some help,or some websites about this? Thinks first!

Well, "Advanced Pigtail Rendering" isn't exactly a popular subject. ^_^

Most of the time when you see any type of hairstyle in realtime it's simply a polygonal model created in a modeling program such as Maya or 3DSMax. For non-realtime renders its usually a series of curves with a specialized shader that make up the hair. In either case, there's nothing really OpenGL specific about it, and learning a good medeling program is probably going to be more useful than figuring out an algorithim of any sorts.

Of course, I could be mis-interpereting the problem entirely. What is it, exactly, that you are trying to do?

Thanks Toji .
Just as your said,I want to build the pigtail hair model whit a series of curves .It is a running time render. I have been finished the straight hair,wave hair and curl hair. now there is the last problem :a pigtail hair.

you see,about the wave hair and curl hair model,you can use some math arithmetic to figure out it's base shape.

such as curl hair model:

x = K*cos(W * time)
y = time;
z = k*sin(W * time);

but how to describe a pigtail hair model?

You might want to have a look at Knot Theory (the mathematics of knots) - although a pigtail is technically not a knot (heh), you might be able to work out your own equations from other examples.

Nehe Lesson 40 cover simple rope physics. You could take that and replace the straight line rendering with a simple model that looks like a portion of the pigtail. I think thats pretty close to the approach taken in Tomb Raider with Laras hair which swings around and off her shoulders.