The quest for a game engine

Started by
11 comments, last by averisk 18 years, 8 months ago
Hello! I am an experienced programer, with near-zero experience in writing games, and I'm currently into writing simple games for my 8 year old niece. I am looking for a decent gaming engine to help me get started. I am willing to spend a few hundred $$$, but there are 3 things of great importance to me: 1) The engine must support manipulation of objects on screen using a mouse (basically drag-and-drop) 2) There must be more than one viewpoint displayed on-screen at the same time 3) There must be in-game menus or a basic GUI during the game itself (not just at the startup screen) Any help would be truly appreciated!
Advertisement
Hmm... chances are the engines are going to be more complicated then it would be to do it yourself. Have you looked at allegro? (http://www.allegro.cc) That would probably suit you quite nicely. Im presuming though, you language is C/C++ though.

There is darkbasic and blitzmax if you are a VB programmer interested in developing a game.
Take a look at www.ogre3d.com.
Ogre supports multiple Viewports and has it's own GUI System.
First, Thank you all for your replies!

Thing is, it is really important for me to create a fast, complex 3D environment, and when I checked the engines you proposed (allegro, ogre3d) it didn't seem like they can create such an environment (I may be mistaken...)

Like I said, I don't mind paying (even if it's above $1000) for a good engine that supports multiple viewports and interactive menus\drag-and-drop.

Also, I'm a skilled programmer with experience in both C\C++ and VB, so if programming is required, it's not a problem (I even prefer engines that allow the user to create and alter scripts)

Any reccomendations? (Is Torque good enough for me?)

Thanx!
Well, I'm using Ogre3D in a current project and it has GUI support. Multiple displayed Viewports I do believe is possible. The mouse manipulation code you'll have to write yourself it shouldn't be to hard there are many features supported by Ogre for mouse manipulation but you'd have to tie it together. Scripting is possible I do believe that there are Python Bindings built-in. If you find a better candidate for what your looking to do then a link would be appreciated.
I have just the engine for you. Alot of people say its just for beginners but I have seen some radical things done with it. The most expensive edition is 900 dollars. www.3dgamestudio.com

Download the 30 day trial and check it out. Not only does it have its own scripting language, you can use external DLLs to use whatever language you please (More information on the site. I may be wrong, it may only allow you to use C/C++)

Take care and God bless

- Reagan
Belive it or not...this is C++....
Well, the problem with 3dgamestudio is that it doesn't support a mouse (in fact, it doesn't support object manipulation with a mouse, only keyboard). PLUS, no interactive in-game menus.

I spend nearly 2 months studying this engine, and eventually, it was a waste of time.

I WILL look into ogre3d. (What is Python?)

Other suggestions, anyone?
Python is an interactive scripting language; there is a binding between Ogre and Python that lets you write programs using Ogre in Python. Ogre is a great rendering engine, and has good integration with CEGUI which is a GUI widget toolset. However, Ogre is NOT a "game engine" as it doesn't have collision, simulation, networking, or anything like that.

If you want a ready-to-use package that has all of that, look at Torque. Torque is quite flexible, and the people at GarageGames keep supporting it. It's a set of C++ libraries that contain all the functionality you'll need in a typical 3D game (including what you're suggesting). You write your game in a combination of Torques scripting language, and C/C++.

Another engine that does both graphics and game stuff is The Nebula Device 2 (nebula2), although getting started with that is harder, as the support is less available.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Are there any advantages to Nebula over Toruqe?

If I want a better engine than Torque, does anyone have a suggestion?

Is anyone familiar with the C4 engine?

Thanx!
-Amikaoce
I NEED SOME MAJOR HELP PLZ WILL SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking just as a pasttime to create an online or offline, LAN or Single player Game ( most multiplayer) I need help by "where do i start?" and "what program do i use?" Could tell me in places on this database. As in Urls or ways to get there. Im a total newbie at this i dont have a clue where to start can some1 plz help me!!!!!!!

Mostly on "what program to use?" and "where do i start first?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement